Automatic column widths for the new table component?

+1

+1

+1

+1 Please put a higher priority on this, it shouldn't be a big task.

+1

+1

+1

+1

1 Like

auto column width has been added on latest update.

4 Likes

Thank you, Anson!

1 Like

Hey Tess, do you know when this will be available for Self-Hosted Retool? Because in v3.26.4 I cannot find this feature.

Hey @mazlinho I don't have an eta yet :thinking: but I can enable the feature for your org if you want. Is it the org under your email?

Hey Tess, cool, that would be nice. Yes, this should be the correct email. I just have both, hosted (not used) and self hosted connected to this mail.

The automatic column widths are a great addition. bug the auto width happens after first rendering the table's original widths, it's confusing for users, asking if the app is okay. Can you please set the auto column width on first table render instead?

On cloud version, using the Retool starting app template with auto width enabled.
table auto width

Thanks for confirming! Added to your self hosted account. It should show in about two hours, but if you don't see it then, I'd recommend restarting your containers & it should show.

Yes, I see what you mean! I'll flag this to our team

When will we get this on Self hosted - still not available as of 3.28.4
Thanks

Hi @peter.b It will be on by default starting in 3.30, but I can add it manually for your team if you'd like. I'm 90% sure I found your org, but it would be helpful if you could DM me the account name or billing admin's email so that I can make sure I'm adding it to the right org :slightly_smiling_face:

@tess - Is this ok to report a bug here? The column in the new Auto-column-width with long values expands to what appears to be a hard limit of 69 characters. Values longer than that are cut off and replaced with (...). This is ok by itself, but in addition to the expansion, it loses the draggable column width handle, usually found in the table's header row. So, now, the value is half-hidden, and no way to see it. In my use case I need to display over 20 fields with at least 4 of them with URLs in. URLS don't wrap into two-line format, etc... The solution would be to: 1) have a draggable column resizer handle (like in the non-auto-resize mode) or, 2) add a new mode for columns - Auto-Full-Expand-Columns (individually or per table), which would push the table to the right, but in our case, it is already way beyond the right margin. I understand that the second one is more likely a new feature - but the #1 is a bug, as I cannot see values...
CleanShot 2024-04-12 at 05.42.44