Workflows UI slow

Loving workflows! :smiley:

I know it's beta, so I'm not too fussed, but just thought I'd say that I've got about 8 blocks in my workflow and it's bringing my browser to a crawl. It's on the edge of being unusable. It's even crashed once (only used workflows for a few hours so far).

Any known ways to improve performance? I'm using Chrome. Any feature flags I can tell chrome to turn on? Or are other browsers more performant?

Hey @jordie, out of curiosity, how many records are you working with?

I found that safari works almost always smoother then chrome when working with beefy retool apps. For workflows that are massive I usually limit the output to a few thousand and remove it when deploying.

Just a few hundred records. Maybe less than 200. I'm using fetch from various APIs then insert into retool DB.

I'll give safari a go.

Hey @jordie!

Curious to know if Safari helped here. I'm also wondering how much data is in each record and what you're doing with the data in your workflow. If we could step in and take a look at it that'd be awesome! It's useful for the devs to have specific examples of workflows that aren't being performant.

Hey @Kabirdas

Safari was a little better but still very slow to scroll around the canvas, painfully slow. :confused:

I should say, running the steps is fine performance wise, it's just the GUI that's slow.

Not sure I can give access to this specific one, but I'll see if I can replicate on another with dummy data.

Question - is the GUI not slow for you or other users? I wonder why that is. What OS and browser are you using?

I'm on an intel Mac. Tried with Chrome, Safari and Firefox. All are pretty slow.

Here's a video for reference! This only shows pretty basic actions so let me know if there's something in particular you'd like to compare :slightly_smiling_face:

The video was taken in Chrome on an M1 Mac.