Retool database throwing Authentication Error

Kia ora

Retool mobile - on Android (issue doesn't occur if the app is run via a browser or iOS) - throws, "Unknown authentication error." on attempting to access Retool database via queries. Same user, same query works fine via a browser.

Our apps are fully broken as a result. Latest Retool version installed.

Please - any suggestions would be hugely welcome. So far, 12 hours into trying to fix it, with no progress.

With grateful thanks indeed, Jamie

Presumably the same issue as reported here: Retool Mobile apps authentication failure "mismatched xsrf token" - just throwing a slightly different error... Help!

Hey Jamie, thanks for reaching out.

I wasn't able to reproduce this by creating a new mobile app (which contains a Retool DB query) (cloud version 3.30) and testing on my android

Could you share some screenshots of the error you're seeing?

Perhaps you could DM me an app export or share how your setup differs here!

This is potentially a regression with the new release (3.30), but it seems there's more steps needed to reproduce.

Cheers
Isaac

Greetings Isaac

Thanks so much for coming back to me. Following your message, I've created a new mobile app. All it does is access one of the tables in our Retool Database (a different one from the other query which was throwing the error, just to be sure). It displays a field from the table in a text component in the event of success, or the error message in the event of failure.

Works on an iPhone fine; simply displays the error message, "Unknown authentication failure." on an Android phone.

There's nothing really to screenshot, and - since it works on a browser, I'm not sure what more detail I can provide - but please let me know what would be useful and I will.

This is super-critical for us. Look forward to your further help, with grateful thanks

Jamie:)

Do you have any more information on the timeline here? Looks like this started happening around your morning on Jan 10, was it happening also on Jan 9?

Can you also share some information on what kinds of devices are experiencing the issue? Are they all Samsung Android?

Thanks so much for your message. The Android phone I'm testing it with here is a Moto G30, running Android V12.

I wouldn't like to be over-certain on the timeline - my apologies - our team are just returning from their new year break - and started wildly flagging the issue - at first we thought it was another problem (which is also affecting us: push notifications have stopped arriving on android devices too..... We've put in place a workaround for that but it's very problematic). Our team have generally assumed it was their issue and have been accessing the app via a browser as a workaround. However, unfortunately the majority of our team have to do their work directly from the mobile rather than via a browser.

Overall not a very helpful answer - my apologies.

Ngā mihi nui Jamie

How is the "Unknown authentication failure." error manifesting? Can you share a screenshot? I want to see if it's happening during login, app load, data fetch, etc.

Unfortunately we still can't reproduce this error.

If you have time, it may help to test your code against our previous 2 releases:

12/15 release: com.retool.retool 12-15-2023 (1966).apk - Google Drive

12/1 release: com.retool.retool 12-01-2023 (1946).apk - Google Drive

Let me know if your RetoolDB queries work correctly on either of these.

Thanks so much for testing it out for us:)

Very keen to give that a go. How do you go about reverting to a previous retool release?

With thanks again

Jamie

Just open one of those .apk files on your Android device. Android should install it automatically (or warn you that you're downgrading app versions, then install it).

Kia ora Braden

This issue is still with us - two months on! We are having to get users to install the previous version of Retool when their device updates. Any progress on when this might be fixed?

With thanks

Jamie

Short version is we have no repro case so don't really know what the issue is. It seems like there are a small number of Samsung devices out there in the wild with slightly different behavior than other Android devices. We're currently doing a rewrite of our internal networking logic to hopefully work around this but since we don't have a repro we can't guarantee a fix.

Let's schedule a call and sync on what's going on. Maybe there's some detail that will be helpful for us. Can you start an email thread with me at braden AT retool dot com?