Retool API docs

Hello!
I recently noticed a "Retool API" section in the Settings / Beta screen of our onprem instance.
I was wondering what that API contains and how to use it.
Are there any docs available?

Hey @dgorshkov! I think you may be looking for this page in our docs :slight_smile: Let me know if you have any questions!

https://docs.retool.com/docs/retool-api

1 Like

Hey @victoria!
Thanks for the link, it looks like it's not really public. :slight_smile:
Quick question: are there plans to add app-related endpoints to this API?
Our usecase: we have an API product, and we want to programmatically generate and upload a boilerplate Retool app for our every new customer.

Ah, got it. It's not an any upcoming roadmaps I think, but just created a feature request for it. And would exporting a JSON file of the boilerplate app be helpful at all? You can export your apps by clicking the 3 dots in the top right corner of the app > Export to JSON. Then, you can import this JSON file by clicking Create new (home page) > From JSON!

Thanks Victoria, we're already using this workaround, but it's not great.

Hi Victoria,

Let me add one use case we would like to be able to do via a Retool API for apps:

We work mostly with a Postgres database. Within the db itself we have a nice overview of all dependencies of tables/views. E.g. we can easily see which table is used by which views etc. Unfortunately, that’s only half of the truth, since many Retool apps use the tables/views as part of the queries in the apps. So in order to build a full dependency tree it would be great to programmatically get all queries from all apps via API. We did something similar with Tableau btw. So we can see which workbooks use which tables/queries. Would be great if Retool could extend its API to access apps and queries.

Thank you for sharing that, @Rafael! I bumped the request with your use case and will let you know as soon as we have updates to share.