How to restrict application pages to various users

As we are building our first application, we're seeing the need to segregate data entry, updates, processes and analysis according to the user. In other words, we want separate play pens. Can somebody describe how that works? Right now, we have two users with the same credentials. How do we set up separate credentials for each user and define the tasks that each user is allowed to do? When we're building separate applications, how are they tied together into an overall application ? Thanks for your work helping new users get started!

It can be done at the Resource level in the Query under Advanced tab or at the Retool user level. Check out this doc

Thanks you very much!

We're currently using the free version because we're still learning. It looks like the more robust security options require the paid version. For now, can we have a separate application for the third person so she won't even see the other options? I'm trying to understand how the system works. Do I create separate apps (see below) for each type of interaction with the database and, when we have the paid version, we can tie all the applications together in one project with the security tools? If that's the case, it seems like we could just give her access to the one application she needs. If that's correct, how do we publish just one app for her? Sorry if this question is covered by the link you sent. I read through the information, but it needs a little context. Thanks!

I think it would be worth your while to speak with someone directly at Retool. @Kabirdas @victoria @Tess
For now, can we have a separate application for the third person so she won't even see the other options?Yes this can be done but in a limited fashion on the free plan I'm trying to understand how the system works. Do I create separate apps (see below) for each type of interaction with the database and, when we have the paid version, we can tie all the applications together in one project with the security tools?Yes this can be done by connecting apps together If that's the case, it seems like we could just give her access to the one application she needs. If that's correct, how do we publish just one app for her?All apps can be published separately Sorry if this question is covered by the link you sent. I read through the information, but it needs a little context. Thanks!

Hey there! Just adding a little context here. At the moment, if you're on the free plan, users who are a part of your org will have access to any app within that org. So while you can make separate apps, access between them won't be restricted.

I'm curious to hear a bit more about your use case as well! What kinds of interactions will people have with your database? And how do they need to be restricted? It might also help to know what kind of database you're using!

Can you give me a little more context? I assume that I need to create an app for each portion of the final input/output of data in this project. Your terminology on the overall application and each portion of the application would help me relate better. I then assume that I will share the app with others. If the app is just one form view, wouldn't I be able to just share that with the person that will be doing data entry for that portion of the overall project? When I share it, will they need to have Retool or will they just sign in to the project itself. Any clarification would be helpful. If I don't share another portion with that user, will it be available for them to use? I'm getting ready to design the next form and assume it will be another app. What ties the apps together other than the database and tables they are pointing to.

In answer to your last question, my associate does search engine optimization. That requires him to identify information, from a variety of sources, combine and analyze it and then report the best actions to improve the position on a Google search. He has another assistant who does some simple analysis and must record her results. Once we get this process under control, he has other ideas that he would like to do with Retool.

Currently, the basic idea is that you have an organization and any member of your organization can use the apps you build there. So, in your case, your organization might have 3 people (you, your associate, and his assistant) and then you'd build the apps for each of them to use.

Since an app is similar to a single web page, you don't necessarily need to create an app for each portion of the project but if you'd like to cleanly section off the different parts of your project it can certainly be useful. Creating smaller apps can also help increase performance.

That being said, if you'd want to restrict access to those apps, you'd need to be on the Business plan or higher. This has come up as a pain point for a number of folks (see this thread or this one, for a couple of examples) and is something the team is taking a look at.

While you can't restrict app permissions on the free plan, you can set up your resource connections to have user-based authentication as @ScottR mentioned which can provide some security.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Thanks. I tried the share button and it appears the people (with the assigned email share) only see the runtime of the app and not the development side. Is that correct? Once I share the app via email share, does the recipient need to log into Retool or do they have access to the runtime app by merely sharing the app with them? With regard to my earlier question, I don't need others in the development area, but this might be a way of limiting the users by sharing just the one app.

With both the "Share editor link" and "Share viewer link" the recipient needs to log in to Retool and be a part of your org. With the share viewer link they should also see the option to edit the app in the top panel:

You can hide this by setting _embed=true in the link's url parameters.

There's a feature currently in private beta to support more sharing outside of your org. Right now, there is a separate option on the Business plan to share a public link but it doesn't support individual user authentication.

The product is more than great, but I takes time to understand the user/pricing approach and only limited within an org. Personally I would pay for external access with loging control ( not the retool login necessarily). That would make this product perfect and I think many people are waiting for this because many of us have technical skills and we want to develop a fast solution without coding.

I'd like to be aware of future features of this kind. How can I keep in touch to receive retool news ?

Thanks

Hey @JuanM, thanks for the feedback!

You can see a good number of updates at updates.retool.com big updates will also show on Retool's twitter. You might also try subscribing to this thread, or any of the ones linked above to follow those conversations!