Regarding Retool user login accounts and version migration-related issues

Hello, We have a customer who recently purchased a Retool software package with the "Business Annually Self-host Standard User 1 year" version. The customer originally installed the Free version on Computer A, but due to the outdated specifications of that computer, they are now planning to install the "Retool Business Annually Self-host Standard User" on Computer B. The login account used by this customer for Retool is the same (rd3backendmarketing@gmail.com).

May I inquire if it is possible to use the license key from the Free version to install on Computer B, and then use the Retool login account to access the Retool web page and confirm the Business plan? Is this approach feasible? Alternatively, does Retool provide a new license key for this situation? Will it affect the ability to use Retool Free on the original Computer A? Thank you!

Hi Jason,
Users are free to switch the computer hardware that Retool is deployed on at any time, as long as there is only one system per license key. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your response. I apologize for any confusion. To clarify, can the customer use the license key from the Retool Free version installed on Computer A to install the Retool Business Annually Self-host Standard User version on Computer B and activate the Business Plan?

May I ask one more question? When the user installs the self-hosted retool in one computer and 2 months later, they want to remove it to a new computer. What should they do? Could you please provide the proper procedure for transferring the installation?

Each computer will need its own separate license key. The user can sign up for a new, free license key at any time, and they can also elect to upgrade at any time. The same license key cannot be used across multiple computers at the same time.

As long as only one installation is using the license key at once, they can switch at anytime. It will be up to the user to migrate any saved apps, settings, and databases as appropriate across hardware.

Hi Albert, thank you for your response.
Our customer has purchased the Retool Business Annually Self-host Standard User 1-year plan. They originally installed Retool Free on computer A and now want to install Retool Business on computer B. Currently, they are facing some issues and would like your assistance. Here are their queries:

1. If the license key used for installing Retool Free on computer A is used on computer B, will Retool Free on computer A become unusable, and will the data disappear?

2. If computer B wants to use the license key from computer A's Retool Free but upgrade to "Business Annually Self-host Standard User 1 year," how can they do that? Are there any step-by-step instructions or relevant screens you can provide for reference?

3. If computer B wants to apply for a new license key to install Retool Business Annually Self-host Standard User 1 year, how can they do that? Are there any step-by-step instructions or relevant screens you can provide for reference?

Please assist in addressing and guiding through these issues. Thank you very much for your help!

You can sign up for a new license key at https://my.retool.com/. Once you sign up, you will see options in the portal to upgrade to different plan levels.

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the oversight. Could you please also provide responses to points 1 and 2 of the previous question? Thank you very much!

You can use the same URL to login to an existing account to upgrade the plan level. As stated before, one key can only be used on one computer at a time. Any additional usage is against the terms of service.

Hello, thank you for your response. May I confirm that when you mention using the same URL, you are referring to https://my.retool.com/? Regarding transferring the database from the computer A with Retool Free installed to computer B with Retool Business installed, could you provide detailed steps and screenshots, if possible? Thank you!

Hello albert, our customer upgraded from Retool Free to the Business plan yesterday, but the "Your license key" section on Retool On-prem Portal still shows the same key as the original Retool Free, and no new license key has been generated. How can we generate a new license key? Our customer needs to install Retool Business on another computer urgently, so we appreciate your prompt guidance. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your quick response!

Our customer upgraded from the original Retool Free to the Business plan, but the "Your license key" displayed on https://my.retool.com is the same as the one for the original Retool Free, and no new license key has been generated. Is this normal? Can we use the same license key to install Retool Business on another computer B? If so, does the original computer A, where Retool Free was installed, become unusable, and will the database be deleted? If that is the case, how can we generate a new license key to install Retool Business on another computer B? Our customer urgently needs guidance on installing Retool Business on another computer, so we appreciate your prompt response. Thank you very much!

This is expected. The license is upgraded in place when changing plans. To generate a new key, you will need to sign up for a new account on my.retool.com.

I suggest that you sign up for a new account to get a new license key for Free, and switch the old computer to use that key, while the new computer can use the newly upgraded business key.

Hello, thank you for your response. I apologize for confirming with you. Are you suggesting registering with another Work email on my.retool.com to obtain a new free license and use it on the old computer? Then, use the license key to upgrade from Retool Free to Retool Business on the new computer? If I log in to the old computer with the new free license, will the existing Retool Free-related data and settings on that computer be reset and cleared? Could you please assist with clarification and guidance on this matter? Thank you!

Yes. Old computer can use a new license key on the free plan, and the new computer can use the old license that has been upgraded to business. Under this method, no data or settings will be lost.

I understand, thank you for your detailed explanation! I have another question, should I install the newly registered free license on the old computer first and then install the upgraded Business license on the new computer? Or should the order be reversed? Or does the order not matter?

Order does not matter.

I understand, thank you for your detailed explanation! I will ask our customers to give it a try first, and if there are any other questions, I'll seek your guidance again. Much appreciated!

1 Like