Building and Shipping Apps for Clients and Ownership Options

Hello and Good Morning , I am new to Retool; I am discovering the app and I really like it even though I ran into a few problems recently [bugs].

I wanted to ask if retool allows to build apps for clients as an agency and ship them to clients? I have a regular plan and I consider upgrading but I need to know more about the self-hosted plan, is this the only way to ship apps? Can a client for exemple be transferred ownership of an app cloud-hosted and not pay anything but the usage of that app?
i am sorry if maybe my question is inaccurate but I lack of information about that. Do any of you also build app for clients ?
Thank you for your feedback.
Namaste

Hey @Ecommfox,

Can you share what you mean by 'shipping' apps to clients? All Retool apps must be run in the Retool environment. You can export an app and then import it into any other instance. If you create an app and want to allow your client to use the app in their own Retool org, that is one way to go. Otherwise, I believe a lot of customers will invite the client as users on their own instance and transfer the cost of that user over to the client. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Hello thank you for your reply. In fact I want to transfer the ownership of an app to the client . I understood that I can export apps to another instance so that wouldn't be an issue. On the other hand the client doesn't want to upgrade now; there will be less than 5 users for internal use. I want to create a release version which all users will use once they join the client's instance. I figured all users have to log on the Retool environment to be able to use the app is that correct?
If I upgrade to release a final version, will the users see it as preview if the client is on the free plan? - Can I upgrade just to release the app and downgrade once the ownership transfer is done ? This part was unclear to me , thus why i was resorting to self hosting in the absolute.
Thanks for your help!

@Ecommfox Is this one Retool instance or two?

I figured all users have to log on the Retool environment to be able to use the app is that correct?

Yes, users must log into Retool to use the apps.

If I upgrade to release a final version, will the users see it as preview if the client is on the free plan?

Are you referring to upgrading your Retool plan (ie: Free => Team)? I'm not sure what you mean by 'will the users see it as preview'. Can you explain this a bit more?

Can I upgrade just to release the app and downgrade once the ownership transfer is done ?

Also not sure what you mean by this. How are you transferring ownership?

Are you referring to upgrading your Retool plan (ie: Free => Team)? I'm not sure what you mean by 'will the users see it as preview'. Can you explain this a bit more?
Yes I want to release an official version of the app (not public) but to do so I need to upgrade to Team as features indicates

For growing, collaborative teams

Everything in Free, plus:

• ✓ 5,000 workflow runs/month
  • ✓ Staging environment
  • ✓ App release versions
    I refer to preview because when I access the app url I still see this previewing banner on top :

Transfering ownership must not be the right word but once the project is done the client will be given access as Admin with all permissions and I will not be part of the users anymore .

My concern is that users will still see the previewing version if owner hasn't upgraded ;

If the instance is on the Free plan, then the users will have the ability to edit the app. That isn't gated unless you are on the Business or Enterprise plans. To avoid any confusion with plan levels, I'd recommend just making the last version of the app the version that you want the end users to see. That way it does not matter which plan your client chooses.

Ok that makes sense thank you @joeBumbaca .

1 Like