Public app sharing on new app builder

Public app sharing is currently available only on the classic apps at the moment. We appreciate your interest as we are working on making the feature available for the new app builder!

Feel free to drop a +1 on this thread - we're actively collecting feedback to help prioritize this feature!

You can also select the "Watching" option to keep informed of any updates in this thread:

-Jen

15 Likes

This will be a big win for our internal customers. They often only need to use a specific feature/module that we would love to be able to embed in our intranet/hub sites.

4 Likes

Echoing others, as an Enterprise Retool user, I see huge potential in the new App Builder - I’ve already managed to rapidly create some incredible forms/wizards that otherwise would have taken me hours (if not days) to setup in Classic Builder. But, these forms/apps are currently useless until I can share them via a public URL with non-retool and non-organizational users :confused:

3 Likes

Struggling, have built the app which has its own login setup and there seems to be a conflict, I dont want to have to add users to Retool when this is already setup in the app. Disapointed that I may not be possible to make the app public.

@CRB from what the Retool folks have said elsewhere, Public sharing with New App Builder is coming, at some point. So it’s a matter of when, not if, it will be possible.

3 Likes

Thanks @pmadden for the reply, I have held my breath many times for software development, hence seeing what I can do for myself. I am faced with permission issues due to Retool locking the ability to edit so users can easily be onboarded to the app. Unfortuntely this restrction is causing some issue with access and permissions within the app.

+1 hoping to prioritize this feature - I have been spreading the word on Retool to many tech-savvy folk who want to use the new builder for novel purposes, but the limitation of no public apps means it’s hard to share the work. On my end, I’ve been creating amazing products that we intended for public-facing uses, only to find it hadn’t been implemented yet.

However, I am relieved to see it’s being worked on! So just wanted to add my support for prioritizing.:raising_hands:

1 Like

Absolutely needed.

Additionally please don’t forget, that we still want to share components with other apps / public ones e.g. / have reusable components.

Hi @Jen , would it be possible to give us a status update on this ?

How is the build coming along ?
What is the expected ETA for this to be complete and available for the new app builder ?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Jen
Its crucial for us and many other to enable that for us, or converting from classic is meaningless

@Darren Could you maybe jump in here?

Embedding / Publich Sharing is crucial
Any ETA / updates?

Happy to! The ability to embed authenticated apps is our current priority - we're actively working on this and will likely ship it in the next 6-8 weeks.

On the subject of true public apps, our Product team is still gathering use cases and is generally being very intentional about figuring out the right implementation. Public apps, by their very nature, have the potential to be abused as either a phishing vector or workaround to our seat-based model, both of which we'd like to prevent.

I am continuing to push on this internally and will provide an update here as soon as I can!

1 Like

As those internal discussions continue, I’ll just offer my perspective that truly public apps were a major reason my organization invested in Retool’s Enterprise tier.

We have several simple public pages with forms enriched by Retool data. We send these to people outside our organization with whom we need to work. It would be impractical to assign a seat license to every user who spends less than five minutes completing a one-time task in a public app. Those users would also be unlikely to go through an account signup and provisioning process for such a brief interaction.

We’ve tried Retool’s built-in Forms product, but it is much more limited than a full-fledged Retool app and doesn’t meet these use cases.

4 Likes

Now that we are into week 6 since this message are you able to give an updated ETA?

Hi @Jacob_G! Welcome to the Community forum :waving_hand:

I pushed for an update internally, and unfortunately there hasn't been a meaningful update on this other than it is still on the customer roadmap.

There is still active discussion on the right implementation for this, and we will be sure to keep you all in the loop as soon as we can.

Thanks for your patience - in the meantime, I'm happy to share your use case to the eng team if you have one!

-Jen

Hi @Jen,

I just saw this in the classic builder today. It is saying we can’t use AI in the classic build anymore and we’re all now forced to use the new builder. However the new builder doesn’t allow for public app sharing. That can’t be right ??

There has to be a solution soon.

I am starting to look at other products to replace the one I have built with retool.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Tanner here from the Retool Product team :wave:

First off, it’s been awesome to see how excited people are to share what they’re building in the new App Builder with a much broader audience. We’ve heard the demand loud and clear, and I’m happy to share that Public links for the new app builder are something we plan to ship in Q4.

Retool has historically been purpose-built for internal software, where things like access controls, permissions, and audit logging rely heavily on knowing who is using an application. Opening apps up to anyone on the internet changes some of those assumptions and also means making sure our infrastructure is ready for the additional scale and potential abuse that comes with truly public apps.
We recognize that many of these considerations also existed with Public Apps in Classic. With the new App Builder, though, the speed and ease of building also increases the risk of unintentionally exposing sensitive data. We want to make sure we get the right safeguards in place as we open up public sharing.

We’re investing in that now because we see a future where Retool is used to build not just internal software, but applications that can be shared far and wide.

To set expectations, we’re currently planning to make Public Apps available to Enterprise customers first, before considering expansion to other plans.

In the meantime, if you need to share an app outside your organization, you can add people as External Users. That gives them access while still letting you take advantage of Retool’s built-in authentication, permissions, and governance.

4 Likes

This is great news! What a wonderful day to be an Enterprise customer :slight_smile:

2 Likes