New input components -> Adapt where tab key brings me

Hello,
after upgrading to the new text input components recently the tab key will not bring me to the next input field but first to the clear "x" of the current field, then to the label/tooltip of the next input field and only then to the next input field itself.
As we have a lot of data to be put in by hand, this extra amount of time for tabbing three times or having to click in the next field by mouse sums up quit rapidly (not speaking of the fact that it doesn't feel intuitive this way). The old text inputs didn't have this problem.
Would be great to see this change again!

Thanks and best,
Timo

1 Like

Hey @betternet!

Thanks for flagging this, I'll pass this along to my team! In the meantime, you can access the old input components by toggling on "deprecated components" in your org settings, do you think this could work in the meantime?

Hi Chris, I spent a lot of time uprading manually to the new components and am thus not really keen to roll this back now. But thanks for passing this request on!
Best, Timo

Definitely understand, I'll keep this thread updated as we are able to ship a more permanent fix here!

1 Like

Hey there!

I just wanted to circle back around here on this, I just heard back from our engineers that this change was intentional for screens readers. If you want to tab through inputs without selecting the tooltip, you should be able to use the new helper text instead! :slight_smile:

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

Best,

Chris

Hey there — I just wanted to circle back around here, hope this helped! Before I close this thread out, is there anything else we can help you with today?

Best,

Chris

Thanks for this information. I'll test the helper text then.

Actually there is another thing concerning new components. If they are required the asterisk is black, old components have a red asterisk. I already got several questions by users, because they interpret this difference as one field being more important than the other. Just with the loss of the ability to tab easily between fields/components this is another small change that creates friction for the users (and also for me as a developer).

@betternet — I see this definitely makes sense! I've added an internal feature request for this and will keep this thread updated! :slight_smile:

1 Like