Build a Retool docker image for ARM (Apple M1, Raspberry Pi)

Hello,

Following my question on this thread : How to host Retool on a Raspberry Pi ?

I'm creating this feature request to make Retool compatible with ARM architectures. It would be useful for running it on Apple new MacBook using the M1 chip and for the Raspberry Pi 4.

Don't hesitate to chime in!

Have a great day !
Chris

5 Likes

would love that too, also working on raspberry pi so it would be great to be able to install it :smiley:

Hope to see a version for Mac M1 soon!

1 Like

+1 for M1 Mac support!

Also looking for M1 support, not being able to run locally makes it very hard to evaluate the product.

Hi, I would also like to use on a raspyberry pi

Hey folks! Brand new Retool team member here. I just onboarded yesterday (9/6/2022) and was just able to set up a fresh M1 MacBook Pro with the latest Retool Docker image(s) per the documentation. If people were having trouble running on an M1 Mac previously, it might be time to give it another go. There is more context in the docs, but the steps I just followed were:

• Install and start the Docker desktop app for ARM Macs
  • Sign in at my.retool.com
  • Choose the "Local Development" tab on the home screen to show local dev instructions
  • Copy and run the shell script shown there in Terminal.app on your Mac
  • The script should run, ultimately creating and starting a group of five containers (grouped under "retool-onpremise")
  • I needed to wait for ~2 minutes before the Node.js (I think?) app in the "retool-onpremise_api_1" container was ready to serve traffic
  • Visit http://localhost:3000/ and create a Retool account for development

Feel free to bump this thread if folks are still having issues!

Hi,
should it be running on a raspberry pi (3or4)as well?
I am using portainer.
[retool-onpremise_db-connector_1]:running
retool-onpremise_db-ssh-connector_1: running
retool-onpremise_postgres_1: running

retool-onpremise_api_1 : exited (exit code 1)
retool-onpremise_jobs-runner_1 : exited (exit code 1)

Log says for both:
exec /usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh: exec format error

After installaing I have seen this in the terminal:

Retool was installed in ~/retool. It will run in the background until you manually stop it. If Retool stops you can restart it without losing your data.
/usr/bin/open: 882: www-browser: not found
/usr/bin/open: 882: links2: not found
/usr/bin/open: 882: elinks: not found
/usr/bin/open: 882: links: not found
/usr/bin/open: 882: lynx: not found
/usr/bin/open: 882: w3m: not found
xdg-open: no method available for opening 'http://localhost:3000/auth/signup'

in the dir there seems not to be a docker-entrypoint.sh

pi@raspberrypiintern:/usr/local/bin $ ls
docker-compose dotenv jsonschema normalizer pycache wsdump.py

Do you may have any ideas?

Hey @ziza! Ooh, great (and tough) question. I'm not sure we have any success stories with Raspberry Pis (that I know of), but happy to dig into this with you. Would you mind sharing a bit more about your use case?

Hi,

At the moment I want to test retool for private issues. I am running a NAS with a postgres DB for different usecases.

I want to use a raspberry pi to analyse and change the data.
On the NAS I only want to run the DB isolated.

Best
Felix

Hey Felix! I brought this up in a couple team meetings and it doesn't seem like I have any promising leads to offer you :pensive: I have heard rumors of users being able to deploy on a Raspberry Pi and a team member actually tried over the weekend, but no luck yet. For now, I'll create a feature request for explicit Raspberry Pi support and will connect it to this thread internally! For anyone reading this that HAS successfully deployed, definitely let us know! :pray:

Hi Victoria,
Thank you.
As of the raspberry prices these days I bought an older mac mini and I am going to work with that for the moment.

1 Like