App blink effect after link click

Hi @Pennatool Thank you for sharing the public app example! As mentioned in Discord, I'm reaching out to our internal engineers about a fix

2 Likes

In the following topic I also discussed this with Franscisco_villareal:

It partly has to do with the header. Still there is a blink effect on the sidebar when no header is added to the apps.

Yes, also the sidebar blinks even if the header is not added

1 Like

Also experiencing the same on multiple projects. Came here for a solution. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon. :slight_smile:

Hello @Tess , I know you guys have more important fixes to work on but this issue is really annoying and makes the app feeling less professional. Do you have any time estimation for the resolution? Thanks!

This should be fixed :crossed_fingers: are you still seeing any issues?

@Tess still having the same issue unfortunately. You can check the public app example, should be able to reproduce. @jleem @LinoPino @bohdan_marchuk is it the same for you?

Yes, issue is still there ..

The issue has been fixed for me on both of the apps I had noticed it happening. Thanks!

@jleem are you sure? Can you test this and let me know if you see the issue? https://smitaly.retool.com/embedded/public/f097fb23-711c-43e9-9295-a3ea242ff689

Hi there, I see what you mean in the sample app still :disappointed: Apologies that the fix didn't fully resolve. Our team is chatting through next steps!

Now it seems that when the desktop header is hidden, there is a noticeable space at the top left, causing the sidebar to start lower instead of at the top: 0 position.

Hi @Pennatool I haven't been able to reproduce this yet :thinking:

Can you share more screenshots of the component settings (or an app export)

Do you mean the app header or the sidebar header?

Yes, you can review it in the public app.

Notice that it's not related to the sidebar header; rather, when the app header on desktop is hidden, there is an empty space at the top of the sidebar.

It seems that the issue has worsened. When clicking on the sidebar, the entire sidebar disappears and everything reloads, even if there are no queries or anything similar that need to be loaded.

:+1: thanks! I'm able to reproduce it on our side now. Will keep you posted about a fix

1 Like

Hi Tess,

I understand there are many other important topics at play, but I was wondering if there's any update on this matter? My end-users are finding the Retool environment to be more like individual pages rather than a cohesive application, as the menu and application reload each time without the menu remaining visible, for example. I'm hopeful there might be a straightforward solution, although I know in coding things are rarely that simple! :smile:

It's still being investigated :disappointed: Will keep this thread posted if I hear anything new!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Chiming in to say I've been having this blink issue with link clicks in my app as well. I've been watching this thread for updates but didn't see any for a while and happened on a solution yesterday. I don't think this will apply to everyone since the public apps shared previously in this thread don't include URL query strings. But I'm sharing in case it will help anyone else or debug the issue that's causing this.

We only see this blinking behavior when navigating to and from a particular app. My apps make use of both header and sidebar, so I thought these were causing the issue similar to others in this thread. However, I couldn't reproduce the blink in new blank apps with+without header module or sidebar. No combination I set up produced the blink when navigating.

The particular app which always blinks uses a URL query string to pass data. By adding a parameter to my test apps when navigating I was able to reproduce the blink. Now that I swapped our usage of query parameter for localStorage the blink has disappeared from our app.

Here are my basic test apps. You can see the blink when navigating from an app without a query parameter to an app with a parameter, and vice versa. Query param > query param navigation and non > non navigation doesn't cause the blink.

I'm using Retool Cloud V3.50.0-a6ac5e6 (Build 170246)

1 Like

Thanks for this detailed report, @benp! I'll reach out if we ship a fix for this specific url param issue