New table component missing features from legacy table

Yes, sorry I've juse seen the "announcement thread" for the new table component which covers this - I'm a few days behind, as always.

Coloring is being considered, the dev team is particularly interested if there are any other features they could include that would fit the same use cases in an attempt to prioritize features that enable more accessible design patterns. So, the more information they can hear about your use case the better! Especially, if you've considered other patterns, which of those might not be available in Retool, and why you're choosing color-coding in particular.

I use a mixture of colour coding and types of columns to what best suits the situation.
I have considered using tag columns but this can take up valuable table width if it can be reasonably represented by a simple row colour! There's also a visual element of scanning left and right with your eyes. I also have changed the colour of the text, by row, according to the data using the HTML type, but is it right that I cannot edit the data in cell with that type?

I've also always wanted to change the border colour of a cell according to the data. This is a really cool functionality of Excel conditional formatting (although not Google sheets :frowning:)

It's would also be useful to be able to change the colour of the text while keeping the data type, e.g. time or date columns (which have other features) but still be able to change the colour of the text (dynamically) and not have to use HTML.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

Jeremy

I have just tried this and now it is obvious why it doesn't work for this situation: For my use case we have Objects (a product or service), and each Object has a Type. I filter the entire array of types according to which Object it is. However, using selectedRow only the data in the selectedRow appears (or other rows which are the same object).

Also...

Is the Action always "icon only"? No text label? Always hidden until hover over row?

It's not always obvious that Actions are available. :frowning:

1 Like

Today I've been playing with the new table component and I noticed that with server-side cursor pagination you can't set the "Total row count" anymore. Our cursor pagination based responses contain a total that we'd like to show in the table. The legacy table component does have this option but the new table component doesn't have this anymore it seems.

Came to here to ask the same question as @arjan. Kinda stuck not being able to move pages and dynamically update my API query.

Background
API call returns data for table, but also in headers includes info for total records and total pages. In the old table, I'd be able to input this data for server-side pagination, but can't seem to find a way to do it in the new table.

Any guidance?

Hey folks!

Just want to cross-post this thread that has a lot of the most recently released features for the new table in case anybody here has missed it. Of particular note is the new status indicator add-on!

Adding the total row count for cursor based pagination is also something that's being explored @arjan and @vinnie, thanks for the feedback here :slightly_smiling_face:

It sounds like you may be having more extensive issues than just display the row count @vinnie, am I understanding correctly that you aren't able to paginate at all with cursor based pagination? Would you be up for discussing the issue more in-depth in a dedicated thread?

Is background colors for cells still in the works? Or was the status indicator supposed to address that use case?

I've got it working. My API can accept the URL parameter "page" where value = {{usersTable.selectedPageIndex+1}}. But I miss being able to display in the table toolbar how many total records/pages exist.

Would utilizing a page change event handler to run the query also be an effective or better way of doing this? I tried that, but changing the page does nothing but increment the page number in the table toolbar, but the cells' content stay the same.

Status indicators are meant to address that use case -- here are a few reasons background color is discouraged from our designer: :slight_smile:

1. There's no additional affordance (text or icon) to indicate status, so colorblind users have no way of understanding what's being communicated
  2. The text can easily end up being not accessible when darker background colors are chosen
  3. Visually it's quite noisy and makes the data more difficult to scan

If you have a use case for cell background color though we'd love to consider it to see if we should prioritize adding support!

Hi @mckenna

I must take issue with the designer's rationale.

It is a more than a bit paternalistic to tell us how we should develop our apps and what UI and UX is appropriate for our users and clients.

It is a the dark pattern version of equity - knocking everyone down to the lowest common denominator vs raising up those that need it: Let's make it definitely harder for most of our users to use the app so a few might find it easier.

Give us the tools, make them flexible and powerful, then let us take on the responsibility to use them correctly. Oh, some absolute monstrosities will be created! But much brilliance will also be born. Both of those are on us.

7 Likes

I have to agree with @bradlymathews.

Iā€™d also be more amenable to this line of thinking had dynamic background colours not been an option in the first place with the legacy table.

On the point of accessibility, I seem to remember that text colour inverted for dark backgrounds automatically in the legacy table, but I might be mistaken.

The status indicator is great for discrete datapoints, but it would be nice to see continuously variable cell background gradients to create heatmaps within tables (including colourblind-friendly options, naturally)

3 Likes

@bradlymathews @ryanm Thanks for your feedback -- tons of great points! We want Retool to be maximally flexible and powerful, but also have great defaults that nudge users to the right patterns. That heatmaps use case is a great one, and similar to other customers we've spoken with this week. Please do let us know if there are any other features for Table that you feel like are missing / fall into this pattern.

We'll plan to add background color support to the new Table soon, similar to how it was configured on the legacy table.

7 Likes

We use cell highlighting (in its prior form) extensively in our application. We like it and would like to keep using it.

I agree with the other individual that we are using Retool because we like the features. If the features go away it not only reduces the benefit of what we thought we were buying but makes us wonder what other features could be eliminated in the future.

I really like Retool and appreciate all you are doing to keep it running. Just giving feedback as one user.

2 Likes

I'm keen to know when the new table cell background colouring feature will be available. We use it to distinguish related columns and visually quickly see that they are grouped together in our pricing system. Example below:

UK Cost, UK Mark Up, UK Price = Green
Dealer Cost, Dealer Mark Up, Dealer Price = Orange
Euro Cost, Euro Mark Up, Euro Price = Blue

1 Like

@mstevenson hello, it's available now in new table. pls just try it.

Pretty sure I'm running into the same issue in that my dropdown options don't seem to be updating/filtering dynamically based on the row we're working with. We use this extensively in several areas of the tool.

Going to have to stick to the legacy table for now until the new table component supports legacy functionality.

@AnsonHwang I have updated to the latest version of on-premise Retool (3.4.2) and the table column Appearance options don't appear to be any different to our previous version? Could you advise please.

It's add to cloud 3.5 only 21 july. If you self host maybe you need some time.

Hello everyone! There are a lot of different conversations going on in this one thread, I'm going to lock it for now so that things don't get lost. If you have a particular question about something that was brought up in this thread could you please make a new one and link back here? Hopefully, that will make things a bit more searchable for people, and it will also help us keep track of the issues folks are running into.

This has been an amazing thread of tons of really good feedback and we appreciate all of your contributions! I know not everything requested has been resolved (including the feature you're referencing @skyler), I'll post updates here when more features get added :slightly_smiling_face:

As @AnsonHwang mentioned, background colors are indeed now available on cloud and should be coming to self-hosted soon!

3 Likes