No FX to toggle between single and multiselect for new table?

is there a timeline for this to be added in?

would like to start moving tables away from the legacy but too many features are still missing

Hi David! Can you describe the feature that you're looking for in the new table?

Hi @DavidD! Thanks for checking in on the new table progress. I'm glad to hear you're ultimately interested in moving to the new table. In case it's helpful for you or anyone reading your post, we have some documentation here that outlines the current differences between legacy + the new table at a very high level. The team is still actively working on the new table; a couple of the concepts they're currently working on are building out expanded filtering options & exploring hide/show configs for columns.

:slightly_smiling_face: Anna & I synced internally, and we saw that the row selection is no longer dynamic in the new table (see screenshots). To confirm, is this the feature you need for your use case? I don't have a timeline for this particular request, but I will post on this thread when I get an update!

While we're chatting, are there other features (besides filtering, hidden columns, etc) that you're most interested in? We'd also love to hear any details you're able to share about the common use case you have for your tables, as it can help inform our work

Thanks!

Legacy table:

Table:

Hey @Tess !
thank you for the thorough response. I hadn't seen that page of the documentation - appreciate the link.
my use case in this instance @AnnaW s being able to toggle between single and bulk edits for a table for when the end-user wants to input all of the changes in one fell swoop - which is possible in the legacy table shown in Tess' screenshots.Here are some of my thoughts since its full release:

• I have never utilized the filter functions in the legacy table and have always opted for custom building my filters with other components and not foreseeing moving away from that (and would put that at the bottom of my priority list)

• something major that seems missing (and perhaps I'm just blind) is the custom button being available in the toolbar as well as the download as CSV option.

• the last issue I've had is with the changeSetArray and ChangeSetObject.

• its my understanding that the changeSetObject is designed for when you don't have a PK and want to record updates made to a table. however, because the changeSetObject is designed to only show what is changed and not the entire object (like recordUpdates does on the legacy table), I don't quite see the value of it and, if I don't have a primary key, it seems to be impossible to update a table? if I'm working with a composite key or an array of objects that doesn't have a PK, is there a best practice I should use to make updates this table? am I expected to create a PK in order to make updates in the new table?
  • a nice to have would be the option to toggle between the original actions style and the new one. I really like the new action style that only persists on hover, but it diminishes the importance of the actions and is best suited for secondary tables that aren't the main focus of the UI (I don't see this needing to be dynamically set like my original issue, just having the option).

1 Like

Hi @DavidD Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this! :pray:

I shared your toggle use case for single & bulk selection with our team -- makes sense!

I have a couple of follow up notes for you--

I have never utilized the filter functions in the legacy table and have always opted for custom building my filters with other components and not foreseeing moving away from that (and would put that at the bottom of my priority list)

Noted! We found that was true of a lot of Retool builders when we did our table research. I believe we're actually working on a separate filter component, which might end up being interesting for your apps :crossed_fingers:

Something major that seems missing (and perhaps I'm just blind) is the custom button being available in the toolbar as well as the download as CSV option.

Yes, this has been one of the top requests for the table & we're currently working on adding this!

changesetObject

This is helpful feedback! Would something like this be helpful for the time being? :slightly_smiling_face:

I've also relayed your actions feedback internally! Thank you

thanks for the repsonse @Tess

your solution for the changesetObject would definitely work and is something I've considered, I just feel like if I have to do a number of workarounds to make it work, it might be better to stick with the legacyTable for the time being until the kinks are worked out with the new table (unless I have a very specific use case).

I'm always interested in trialing new components as they come out - let me know if/when there's progress on that filter component!

Hi there! The filter component is live, as well as the toolbar with downloading :blush:

I believe dynamic row selection will ship to Cloud next week (and then ~2 more weeks after that for on-prem)