Table filters are not applied on mapped column value

Hi Tess,

New Retool user here.
I have the same issue with the new table component.
I have a mapped field that has a integer data value that is mapped to a table for the data display.
the filter action on that column only filters the value and not the display.

Hi @Shegs,

I'm able to reproduce this too :disappointed: Thanks for flagging! I am reaching out to our team internally

1 Like

Hey @Tess,

To toss my hat in the ring as well, I am still seeing this behavior as well on the new table version.

2 Likes

Added your +1! :disappointed:

Same issue here.
Thanks.

2 Likes

@Tess Any news or potential ETA for when a fix would go in for this?

1 Like

Hi there! Unfortunately, I don't have an eta for this one :disappointed: I'll let the team know you've checked in

1 Like

Thanks @Tess, this is one of those things that as we have our data system normalized actually impacts a lot of our workflow with the filtering. Let me know if this is something that plans on being addressed.

This makes it very difficult. Are there any workarounds?

@Tess Any update? This bug makes things difficult for our workflow.

No update yet, unfortunately :disappointed: It is in our queue to be fixed, but it's hard to say what the timeline will be. I'll add this feedback to the internal ticket!

@Tess Just following up to see if there has been any traction. I can see that it has been a bug for a while. Any news or way to escalate this a little bit?

1 Like

+1

I would like to filter by mapped values.

@Tess Upvoting this issue as well, bummed it's been a lingering issue for so long, as it's a pretty confusing user experience. Thanks!

1 Like

+1 from me

Just encountered this limitation ourselves!

We use foreign keys in our tables that map to friendly text strings, often enough that I'm actually surprised that we hadn't noticed this before.

I was originally going to suggest adding a checkbox to the filter-setting widget like "use mapped value" or "use displayed value" but I think it's safe to assume the typical end user would expect the displayed value to be the default filtering value, because that's what they're seeing (they may not know, nor care, nor need to ever understand what the raw value is). Filtering on the raw value would actually be the exception.

@Tess following up again on this. We have a pretty sloppy workaround set in to get by, but it would be amazing to have this fix in soon.