More Placement Options

Can you increase the number of columns in the placement grid so we have more granularity when placing controls? Sometimes I just want to add a small button to the right of another control, but the columns in the placement grid are so wide that the button is huge. For example, in the image below, the placement grid gives fairly fine grain control for vertical placement but horizontal placement gives very few options.

7 Likes

Yes, this is a frequently asked feature. Can we please have a setting so we can specify the width of the canvas columns? Asking for a friend! :pray:

4 Likes

Agreed! Currently, this is not possible, but it is a (very popular) feature request.

On a somewhat related note, we recently shipped padding & margin controls on containers, which was another commonly requested visual layout feature. Hopefully, we can support customizing the canvas grid as well :crossed_fingers: I shared this feedback internally & I'll post here if I get any updates

2 Likes

Thank you @Tess!

1 Like

How about an option to just turn off the grid and use CSS Flex, Margin, and Padding? Would that be easier to implement, at least in the interim?

Or even better, the ability to add our own style sheets to override the Retool default CSS?

2 Likes

I would agree that using a flexbox system, with custom padding, borders and margins would be ideal. It might even start to bridge the current gap between "desktop" and "mobile" apps, which I believe is something very valuable in today's multi-modal-screen society.

4 Likes

+1

+1

1 Like

+1 this should be standard :slight_smile: as right now there is too much white space between components

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

Hi @Tess, this seems to be a hight frequently asked enhancement. Any news on this?

:grinning:

Patrick

1 Like

Hi there! No updates at the moment :disappointed:

+1