I am trying to solve this basic issue

Continuing the discussion from Tag Dropdown not showing the list of values to select from:

Hi @devonso! Just saw this post that hasn't been replied to yet :cry: How can I help here? Do you have any specific questions?

the issue is the multi tag feature through the single tag column type is not working as it should, I have a basic table and I want to be able to select different "status" or states for a given row say "in progress", "completed", "idle" etc, so I want a dropdown with those options I can pick one of them and set the status for my give row.

The issue is the single tag type only shows 2 options to pick from it won't show a dropdown of 3 or 4 options.

Hmm there should be as many options as you'd like in the Tag (dropdown) column type! Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your column configuration? :slight_smile:

yes that's what I want it to be, here is the link to previous uploads Tag Dropdown not showing the list of values to select from

also what's your data source, is {{item.deal_name}} an array?

Got it! So when you pass in a SQL query as your data source (like I am doing in my example), you can specify which column you want to use for your dropdown values.

In my example, query1 is a SQL query that returns data as an object of arrays so you're exactly right, {{ item.deal_name }} is an array of deal name values!

Which works, since the dropdown column expects an array of values :slight_smile:

yes so I tried with a basic array of data like data: ["item1", "item2"], but it won't show the options, one of the developers said it was a bug on their end. I haven't tried it with queries from SQL as I was playing around with it and wanted to test basic functionality.

Ah, got it! So I think the tag column only accepts data from 2 sources: values from a column from a specified query (like in my example) or the values from a column already in the table.

In the regular Select (dropdown) component, you can pass in a hardcoded array and it works just fine, but it doesn't seem possible to do that same test in the tag column!

yeah it should be able to do for prototyping purposes I guess

@victoria Can the tag column accept data from an array of objects from a graphql query? I am having trouble getting an array of data objects into the tag column.

Hey @thelovesmith! Any array should work, it’s just a matter of using the right selectors usually :slight_smile: would you mind sharing a screenshot of what your query is currently returning? The best way is to open up the State tab in your left panel and open up your query, open up data, and then open up one of the columns so we can see what the column data looks like.

1 Like

@victoria Thank you for your quick response! I have attached a screenshot of the app and the query. When I keep the column type as Auto it will display the array of objects, but once I change it to a Tag(Dropdown) type, the data won't display. I'm most likely using the wrong selectors but I don't know how to map through the array of objects and then extract only the title for each object in the array. I have tried using the {{item}} selector to no avail. You will see in my query state that I have a few fields that are returning arrays of objects and I want to get them all in the table as Tag types, so figuring this out would be amazing :pray:t5: Thank you again for your help.

I tried this selector thinking it would map through but it still did not work. I really thought I figured it out.

Hello, I am still looking for some help here. Any solutions, advice, or update?

Ah so it looks like you're passing in your products column, which is an array of objects.

This column just expects a single column value I believe. I don't think you can have a unique set of dropdown items for each cell. A list view component is better suited for something like this! Let me know if you're interested and I can help you get that set up :slight_smile:

Hey @victoria

Thank you for that information. So are you saying that we can use a list view component instead of a table component? Just want to clarify. If so, I would most definitely be interested in setting that up.

The list view doesn’t have specific table helper functions and properties (like table1.selectedRow or built in filter buttons), but it might be helpful. What’s your specific use case here? Is your table read only or will you be passing updates back to a database?

As a note, would this workaround be helpful at all?

http://community.retool.com/t/multiple-select-in-table-manage-tags-in-a-table/4533/3

Just wanted to update this thread with some exciting news. The multiple Tags column (called Tags) is available on our new Table component :slight_smile: Drag in a new Table component to check it out!