How to use authenticated user credentials in Workflow API requests

Hello!

I'm building an external application and need my users to authenticate different account types (Quickbooks, Microsoft, Google) using the standard OAuth2.0 flow. I have the authentication working, and can make API requests for the authenticated user while they are logged into the retool app.

I am trying to use workflows, since I have some actions that are triggered via webhook outside of the app.

However, it seems user-based auth isn't supported in workflows, so I'm struggling to move forward to use the relevant authenticated user information for further API requests when a trigger occurs.

E.g.

• Our clients authenticate their accounts (Quickbooks, Microsoft, Google) in Retool
  • We then subscribe to webhooks for events such as payments in Quickbooks or new emails in Microsoft / Google
  • Those events should trigger a workflow that then lets us make additional API requests as the authenticated user related to the webhook event -- like creating an additional invoice in Quickbooks, or sending out an email in Microsoft / Google.

In the workflow, when I try to create a resource block that calls the relevant API, I see an error message as follows:

Auth not supported: this resource uses user-based authentication. Create a version of this resource that only has server credentials (e.g., a service account), or turn on "Share user credentials with all users" in the Resource Config.

I don't think either of these options solves my use case - please let me know if I'm missing something!

1. Server credentials: I can't figure out how to implement this. I've tried the 'Client Credentials' flow instead of the standard auth, but to no avail. Is there anything else?
  2. Sharing user credentials doesn't work because each user needs to be authorized with their own credentials (my understanding here is that sharing credentials would only work for one internal organization, not an external app).

How can I proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @megan, welcome to the forum! :wave:
We currently do not support Custom Auth in Workflows, but it's a feature we are tracking requests for. Unfortunately, until then, our options do not solve for your use case.

We attached your use case to the FR and added your +1. We'll update you when there are any updates on the development of this feature. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like