How to "Deploy" an app

We are almost ready for our users to start using our app in production. Is there a way to "deploy" an app for non admin users? The user page still allows them to edit the app even though they are not admin. When they are on the app it also says it is just previewing the app.

I am on the teams self hosted plan and it says I can't disable editing permissions because of the plan type? I don't know why editing an app would be allowed in the first place without admin permissions. When I was using the Retool hosted version I was on the business plan I was able to make these changes but there does not appear to be an equivalent self hosted plan that allows this without going to enterprise.

2 Likes

You've touched on my biggest frustration with Retool self hosted (ok, updates sometimes break things, that can be frustrating too but I deal). Small and medium size business needs user permissions just as much as larger enterprise. Why is there a gap in the pricing model from small team $10/user where everyone can edit, to five figures + for enterprise pricing? Give me a $50/user option for self hosted that includes permissions (just like the business plan online) and I'll sign up my organizations yesterday!!

There is a workaround to "sort-of" achieve what you are after, you can inject CSS to hide the menu bar and floating menu so users won't know that they can edit (but of course they really still can). This gives a nice simple appearance to your apps but is not true security. If you're interested I can share the code I use just message me (not sure I'm allowed to post that here it's sort of a hack around the intended UI).

1 Like

Thank you both for taking the time to share your questions and feedback on our pricing model. We’re making some major changes to our pricing today! :tada:

• First, instead of charging the same price for any user at your company, we will now charge different rates for standard users (people who build apps in Retool) and a significantly lower amount for end users (people who only view or use Retool apps). See the details on our pricing page.
  • We’re also adding an annual billing option to our Team and Business plans so that you can pay annually and get an additional 20% discount per user.
  • And, we’re introducing a self-hosted Business plan for teams that prefer to self-host and need more granular permissions, audit logs, and reusable modules.

Beyond these pricing changes, we’ve recently shipped dozens of new features, including an AI-powered query editor, Python support, offline mode in Retool Mobile, and a Retool-hosted PostgreSQL database with a spreadsheet interface.

We are constantly adding to the platform to make it more useful to you. If you have any other feedback about Retool, please comment in this thread or start a new thread anytime! Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.

I've done this. I hid the toolbar via CSS... and that's the end of it.