Permission groups in Starter for Self-Hosted, or a Business plan for Self-Hosted

I love ReTool and have always loved it!

But this has been an issue for so long that I saw myself sign up for 4 ReTool's competitors today with a view to migrate some of our Apps there, something I would have never thought I'd do for the past 3 years!

The Problem

Permissions

I have ~20 customer support agents that work offshore and need some sort of access to my ReTool apps. However, I don't trust them to have access to all of them, so I need the "permission groups and control access to apps" feature.

Latency

On the Cloud version, there is a strong, noticeable latency that makes most of my Apps unusable (or nearly so). This is 100% due to the network, which is responsible for a solid 300-500ms per request. Some features of my Apps go through multiple queries in cascade, so you can end up having 15-20 seconds wasted just in network wait time.

I'm therefore blocked on the self-hosted version. Which I really like and is great. It's hosted on a dedicated resource that sits in the same virtual network as the databases, hence the network cost is < 1 or 2ms.

Pricing

This is where my problem comes in. The self-hosted version only has a $10/u/m Starter pricing model, which doesn't include the permission & group features. The live chat (a year ago or so) mentioned you could use different folders, but this is obviously not a reasonable fix for basic trust reasons.

The Cloud version has everything I need in the $50/u/m Business plan, but for the Latency reason above, I cannot use it.

The last option I have is the Enterprise "Flexible" pricing, but the last time I spoke to a sales agent, they mentioned $60k a year of minimum commitment, which is difficult to justify for the only purpose of having the permission and groups feature (bear in mind, offshore customer support agents cost ~$200 to $400 / month)

Possible Solutions

1. Reduce the minimum annual commitment required for Enterprise to $5k or $10k, maybe have a self-served enterprise option at $5k. I don't need to (and would prefer not to) talk to a dedicated support engineer, account manager etc. Also don't need custom integrations, or if I do at some point, I'd gladly move to a full-fledge enterprise version.

2. Giving Permission groups & control access to Apps in the Starter package for self-hosted. This would solve many issues and I really doubt that it will cannibalize any full-fledge enterprise sales for self-hosted as it's limited to 25 users anyway.

3. Bring Business pricing to self-hoster.

I'm aware that pricing issues are very complicated and involve a lot of people, I just thought I'd submit this here for future discussions / reference if it can help, as ReTool has helped us a lot over the years.

Hey @palbrecht!

Thanks for bringing up these concerns. Our team is taking a look at how we structure our pricing model and your feedback is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, one of our team members has reached out to you via email to discuss what a solution might look like for your particular case!

Thank you @palbrecht for taking the time to share your questions and feedback on our pricing model. We’re making some major changes to our pricing today! :tada:

• First, instead of charging the same price for any user at your company, we will now charge different rates for standard users (people who build apps in Retool) and a significantly lower amount for end users (people who only view or use Retool apps). See the details on our pricing page.
  • We’re also adding an annual billing option to our Team and Business plans so that you can pay annually and get an additional 20% discount per user.
  • And, we’re introducing a self-hosted Business plan for teams that prefer to self-host and need more granular permissions, audit logs, and reusable modules.

Beyond these pricing changes, we’ve recently shipped dozens of new features, including an AI-powered query editor, Python support, offline mode in Retool Mobile, and a Retool-hosted PostgreSQL database with a spreadsheet interface.

We are constantly adding to the platform to make it more useful to you. If you have any other feedback about Retool, please comment in this thread or start a new thread anytime! Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.