Google proto files are not included in gRPC parsing

I'm trying to include some gRPC files in my Retool deployment (which is deployed with Docker Compose). Retool is currently failing to parse some of my proto files, because it can't find the Google proto types. This is an excerpt from my logs:

gRPC: Could not parse file: /retool_backend/protos/bb.proto Error: no such type: google.protobuf.Empty

The gRPC documentation says that the Google proto files should be included. Any help here is appreciated.

As a suggestion to Retool: It's rather clunky that I have to place Proto files in a folder and restart the service. It would be great if I could provide a FileDescriptorSet, giving a complete (and pre-built) definition of my APIs. Would be happy to discuss this with you further, if you're interested.

We finally found a solution for this: ensuring all the imports are sorted. I have no idea why that fixes it.

Hi, what does your docker.yaml look like? I can't seem to get mine compiling it just says Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir '/retool_backend/protos'] {

Hi there!

Our team is looking into the bug where the imports have to be sorted, and we are also looking into a fix for having to redeploy Retool after adding gRPC proto files.

@Benjamin_Cuthbert Thanks for reaching out!

To use a .proto file within Retool, we must add it to a folder that the Retool docker containers can access. We can create a '/protos' folder to our retool-onpremise directory and add the file.

We can give our containers access to this file by adding the following line to the volume sections of the API, db-connector, and db-ssh-connector services in our docker-compose.yml file. The file should look something like this:

We must also define this new folder in our docker.env file by adding the following environment variable:

PROTO_DIRECTORY_PATH=/retool_backend/protos

Then, restart your Retool Containers to see these changes reflected.

Please share a screenshot for us to review, if you've already taken these steps. I'm also linking our grpc docs just in case!

Hi all,

We shipped a bug fix to an upcoming version of Retool (v2.123) where you can now add gRPC proto files without needing to redeploy Retool.

We are still working on a fix for the sorting bug