Figma components for Retool

Adding +1

+1

+1

+1 following

+1

+1

+1

I know your internal product design team uses a Figma file to make these gems of components.
It would take 1-2 days to sanitize it and make it available to your customers and potential customers for prototyping a proposal :wink:

We gonna do this or what? :clap:

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Hey all ā€“ appreciate the continued interest in this topic. Iā€™m on the design team here at Retool and have been thinking about this area a lot.

To solve the immediate problem, here is a Figma component library for Retool (s/o Infobeans): https://www.figma.com/community/file/1266122775591593614

That said, designing Retool apps in Figma and then building them in Retool isnā€™t a perfect solution to this problem for a number of reasons:

• Retool and Figma offer different layout constraints, so a designer unfamiliar with Retool may inadvertently make something that is impossible or inefficient to implement in Retool.
  • Thereā€™s a lot of duplication of work ā€“ first laying out in Figma, then laying out in Retool.
  • Maintaining a public, comprehensive, and up-to-date Figma component library is non-trivial. We donā€™t currently maintain something like this internally, and it would require us to divert significant design effort from improving Retoolā€™s platform. We ultimately think thatā€™s more valuable to our users. (Like Linear, we use Figma as a fast, divergent tool for design thatā€™s ultimately just a reference, the source of truth is always code)

For those of you who need Figma components, the above link should get you started.

I would encourage everyone to also consider getting designers into Retool. Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised by how successful design teams have been working in Retool, and have onboarded many of them over the last few months. I usually give designers a brief overview of Retoolā€™s app editor and show them how to set styling properties and how to create themes. Once they build apps, they pass them over to eng teams to connect the data and write a bit of business logic, getting to better outcomes much faster than drawing pictures in Figma and dealing with all of the back-and-forth in implementation.

Let me know if anyone has questions/comments on bringing designers into Retool ā€“ happy to continue the conversation here, or feel free to drop me an email at kent@retool.com for anything related to design.

3 Likes