Dynamically show required input text from parent of module

Hello,

I have an app that I'm building that has a number of required fields for data. I want to be able to show the "This field is required" text, but only after the user has tried to submit the data, specifically from an external app that the module is part of. I set it up inside the module to change the boolean of the "Hide validation message" in the Advanced Appearance settings of the field based off a module input, and it works fine when using test data within the module, but I can't seem to get it to change when I switch the boolean input in the app. I've also tried using the "Query JSON with SQL" trick to see if that helps but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have experience doing something like this? I'd rather not have to create custom required field text objects instead of using the built-in option if possible, but will if it's necessary.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

@jason.patton if you're still looking into this, joining our Office Hours could be a good option to discuss use cases/what's possible in Retool with a small group of Retool users, community experts and Retool employees!

If you did find a better solution for this in the meantime, or learn one during office hours, please do feel free to share it here in case others could learn from it too! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: