CRON Jobs/Scheduled Queries

I have created a tool and now I would want to know how to run this tool in the background or in the backend every day. Something like a cron job that keeps running even when the web browser is not on.

Hi @shrirambhat! Unfortunately we don’t support any scheduled queries, at the moment Retool apps run as web applications that can run queries while they are open in the user’s browser. It’s a common feature request though, so I’m going to move this over to that category and clarify the title.

@alex-w

I’m thinking if we can use Javascript to periodically run something? We just need to make sure that we have the browser open all the time. Thanks!

There is an option under queries which are set to run “When inputs change” to trigger the query periodically under the Advanced section of the query editor! Justin talks about that a bit here: How do I schedule my queries to run every hour or day?

+1 on this idea!

1 Like

Hi, community! For anyone who is following this thread, we are fast approaching our early access program for this feature.

While I believe I reached out to everyone who has commented at this time, if you're interested in participating (or even just chatting with our engineers and seeing a demo), feel free to message me here or reach out via email at kiersten@retool.com. Thank you all for your continued engagement!

4 Likes

Hello Kiersten, I'd be very interested in participating on this feature's early access. How can I join? Thanks, MA

Hi Manuel – thanks for your interest! Just followed up with you via DM.

1 Like

Hi Kiersten, I am interested in this feature as well. Appreciate early access! Thanks. Stefan

Dear Kiersten, I am very interested in such feature. It will save us time doing cron jobs through GCP! :slight_smile: @Kiersten

@Kiersten is the CRON feature added on it?

If not then can we use 3rd party service to run cron on this?

Like below service

@Kiersten , please count me in! This is a missing feature that makes our board of director doubt about Retool usability for us. We definitely need that feature.

Finally!! https://retool.com/products/workflows/

1 Like

Hey all, wanted to circle back here and share that Retool Workflows is now live (though @rferland might have beaten me to sharing this ;))! With workflows, you can schedule jobs, alerts, and lightweight ETL tasks directly in Retool—without losing the flexibility to use code whenever you want. You can also use Workflows to run background tasks, or even trigger them from your existing Retool apps -- read more about it here.

Feel free to also share any feedback or questions about Workflows to the Workflows category of this forum, as well!

3 Likes