Chrome Extension - Retool Embedder

Hello again everyone,

I have been learning about Chrome Extensions recently and had an idea for one for us Retoolers... What if you made a handy little Retool app, and you wanted it to live inside Chrome, following you around in the side panel while you browse...

Now this is just barely working and my code is cobbled together with ChatGPT's help. See MessageBroker.ts if you are interested in one of it's creations.

I wanted to see if I should take the time to polish it up and "release" it officially and even... maintain it?? It is based off of this boilerplate repo I found, with Bootstrap added for the settings page. I slapped most of it together just to see if it would work, and I was pleasantly surprised with the result :slight_smile:

What do you all think? Would you use this?

Github link to my repo for the extension

7 Likes

This is a great idea, @khill-fbmc! I would create a table with links to all my bookmarks and have a count that tracks every time I click them, then sort them by use. This organization would be more efficient than my existing one.

1 Like

This is amazing! From the top of my head I can think of 3-4 users cases for my clients (create lead form, update contact form, a list of projects and update them as I read emails, etc).

I would definitely be interested in using it and being a tester for this

1 Like

Wow. Opens me up a whole realm of additional possibilities. Nice work!

1 Like

Yes…

Not kidding - about once a week I find myself searching for a way to get a retool app in a chrome side panel.

Our firm works entirely out of Retool, Google Docs, and Notion and they’d be in complete harmony if I could give them a Retool “companion” to ride along when they’re in Docs/Notion

2 Likes

I see in my chrome developer dashboard, I have the option to add testers!

I would be happy to extend testing to interested users once I get it published.

1 Like

Working on the options UI...

Adding a feature I thought of...

Make a workflow to provide your app list...

Enable it for a dropdown instead of input field! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would use this extension.
Just wondering, which features of retool do you need to be able to use this when it’s finished? I guess not any retool subscription would suffice?

Does this make use of embedded apps, public apps or anything else? I’m on the team subscription.

I am intentionally not using any paid features. (I think?) The extension is as simple as possible and is really just an iframe with a page to configure the URL.

I wanted to try to use the Retool API but realize it would ice out some people. That is how the Workflow Provider idea was born.

Edit: I went to look, and sorry, but embedding is part of business.

I love the simplicity of the workflow.

This is shaping nicely Kevin! Well done

I setup Github's CI and you can find the latest builds here.

I hope to publish to the Chrome Store soon, I think it is almost ready. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question for Retool Employees... @Paulo? @joeBumbaca?

Can I use your logo for the extension icons? I ripped the svg from the site and trimmed off the "Retool"

As you can see I am not that great at graphic design :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't want to pretend to be official is what I am getting at, I can also change the name to something like "App Embedder for Retool" if needed.

I sent you a DM with details. Thank you for reaching out! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes