Allow configuration of ratings in tables, or another way of "starring" table rows

I'd love to find out there's already a way to do this!

It's possible to set a "Rating" widget to be 0-or-1 star and then use it as a UI element to control whether an item is "starred" or not so that we can remember to highlight that item for that user. (I've found that the built-in Retool database is a great way of storing these star associations!)

But in tables, the rating mechanism only allows for 5 stars and half-stars allowed β€” there's no way to use the component for "starring" specific rows, so the best I've been able to do is awkwardly put the star SVG in a button.

It would be great to be able to use the rating mechanism or some other functionality to add stars to table rows β€” and I'm curious if anyone else has come up with an alternative solution that handles this well!

Hey Rob! Your way is quite clever, I’m not sure if I know of any workarounds that are better :sweat_smile:

Is there anything that’s not ideal about your current setup? Happy to brainstorm options together!

I've switched to using row actions instead of the button data type β€” the buttons that result are tighter and don't have as much required horizontal padding.

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 10.14.56 PM

It would be great if we could use raw HTML labels on these row action buttons instead of only being able to use Unicode symbols!

Added to the internal request! Thank you for taking the time to write in with this, and for sharing your current workaround.

1 Like