What exactly is the `key` in the `columnOrdering` property of `table`?

In the documentation, columnOrdering property is described as an array representing the ordering of columns by key.

Could you share what exactly key refers to?

Here's an example of the property value in one of my tables:

Respective column names:

Column IDs are the lower snake case of the column names.

1 Like

Very good question. I've seen this also and have wondered what these keys are connected to.

Hi @ilia_k,

Thanks for reaching out! The keys here are randomly generated. The setColumnOrdering & getColumnOrdering apis default to use the column "source" names, rather than the randomly generated keys. If you have any columns that don't have a source, you could use the random key.

If you remove the "source" for a column and run a getColumnOrdering query, you'll see the same key:

1 Like

Thank you @Tess,

Any chance there is something in the pipeline that folllows Scott's reasoning in this post How to save column order? - #15 by pyrrho ?

You can certainly run a query to set the order - as far as I know, we aren't adding more native support for persistent user customizability in the near term (though we're tracking requests for this feature)

We will likely remove the columnOrdering property from the table since it isn't very useful and the keys aren't user friendly