Utility Notification Timing

Hey team,

I am doing some work with the built-in Retool notification utility and realized I have no way to customize the duration of the notification. Some of the error notifications I'd like to show have some longer messages that cannot be read in the time that the notification is up. Would love to see that implemented!

EDIT
Everett from Retool did provide a workaround for now:

As a roundabout workaround, you can create a text input and temporary state variable to mimic the show notification behavior on the canvas. Essentially, you’d use state.setValue({title: “”, desc: “”, type: “”}) to update a state variable, then trigger the text component to show based on it’s “hide when true” property, and then trigger a setTimeout() function to clear out the state value and hide the text component.

Original post in How Do I before moving this post to feature request

Hey team,

I am doing some work with the built-in Retool notification utility. Is there any way to customize how long the notification stays up? Right now it comes and goes so quickly it is hard to read what I want the error notification to say.

2 Likes

Hey Dakota!

We don’t currently have a way to specify a display duration for that notification. Would you mind posting this as a feature request so that other users who are interested can chime in?

As a roundabout workaround, you can create a text input and temporary state variable to mimic the show notification behavior on the canvas. Essentially, you’d use state.setValue({title: “”, desc: “”, type: “”}) to update a state variable, then trigger the text component to show based on it’s “hide when true” property, and then trigger a setTimeout() function to clear out the state value and hide the text component.

1 Like

@everett Thank you! I updated this post with information and moved it to the correct place.

2 Likes

This has now been implemented: