Test connection failed (SSH) Channel open failure: open failed

We've been using Retool for quite some time.
The database itself is located in a private AWS network. It's an AWS RDS Aurora MySQL database.
The cluster consists of two instances: read and write replicas.
Connection is made via an AWS EC2 bastion host, with an SSH key added directly on the EC2 instance.

In the connection settings, the master (write) instance is used.
Everything works fine.

I want to change the settings to switch from the write instance to the read instance of the same cluster.
This:
.cluster-cgqo.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com
is replaced with this:
.cluster-ro-cgxqo.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com
meaning, '-ro' (readonly) is simply added to the address.

Nothing else changes.
When I click 'test connection', I see an error:

Test connection failed
(SSH) Channel open failure: open failed

Expanding in the console, I see:

Test connection failed (10.249s):(SSH) Channel open failure: open failed
{query: "Connect Request", error: Object}
query: "Connect Request"
error: Object
data: Object
reason: 1
name: "Error"
stack: "Error: (SSH) Channel open failure: open failed at onChannelOpenFailure (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/utils.js:16:11) at CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/client.js:510:11) at 92 (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/protocol/handlers.misc.js:810:16) at Protocol.onPayload (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/protocol/Protocol.js:2024:10) at AESGCMDecipherBinding.decrypt (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/protocol/crypto.js:1091:26) at Protocol.parsePacket [as _parse] (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/protocol/Protocol.js:1993:25) at Protocol.parse (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/protocol/Protocol.js:292:16) at Socket.<anonymous> (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/ssh2@1.4.0/node_modules/ssh2/lib/client.js:712:21) at Socket.emit (node:events:517:28) at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12) at Socket.emit (/retool/node_modules/.pnpm/dd-trace@3.19.0/node_modules/dd-trace/packages/datadog-instrumentations/src/net.js:61:25) at addChunk (node:internal/streams/readable:335:12) at readableAddChunk (node:internal/streams/readable:308:9) at Readable.push (node:internal/streams/readable:245:10) at TCP.onStreamRead (node:internal/stream_base_commons:190:23) at TCP.callbackTrampoline (node:internal/async_hooks:130:17)"

I've checked the EC2 instance, ensuring the key is in place and up-to-date. The EC2 instance has network access to the read replica, just as it does to the write.

I searched forums for similar issues but couldn't find any that match my case exactly.
Please help resolve the issue.

Why can't it connect through the same bastion host to different instances of the same cluster?
I want to change the load to the read instance.

my guess is the process of making a connection (the connection handshake) is causing the problem as it needs to write to a stream. sorry i can't be much more help, I'm not a big AWS user, but I do have a StackOverflow link that has some troubleshooting steps and a possible solution. this could also be an AWS permission/policy problem, again I'm not good here so I'll refer you to this article which has a lengthy example scenario so you can also see if it applies to you at all.

good luck!! feel free to reply with anything you tried and/or results

1 Like