Retool Mobile Components

Hey @kadfr!

The developer team is working on broadening the tools you have available to you in Retool Mobile. In the meantime, do you have a particular use case you're trying to solve? What would you be using the mobile view of a web app for specifically?

Hi,

I agree, I'm testing out Retool (Mobile) now for usage within our company and although in basis Mobile is working, it's missing some components which would make it easier to work with.
A switch/toggle would be useful, I can work around this for now by using a dropdown with values ON/OFF, But a switch would be more mobile native.

Also a slider, a date and time picker where you can scroll through the days/months/years would be helpful.

Hey @mbruijnpff!

Both the select component and slider component are on the dev team's radar! I'll let you know here if they're included :slightly_smiling_face:

For the date picker component, are you looking for something like this?

Otherwise, the current date picker does offer some scrolling:

Curious what exactly your specifications are!

1 Like

@Kabirdas,

good to hear that those already are on your rader.

Regarding the picker, I was thinking about the iOS type date/time picker, but that's what I'm used to.
The example you gave has similar functionality. That has been created with components already available? I could use that (in the meantime).

The current date picker is working, but not that suitable for smaller screens on our zebra devices.

Have a nice weekend.

Yep! It's made just using a container with three select components, you can try it out by importing this JSON.
custom_date_picker_mobile.json

Hey @mbruijnpff, just want to mention here as well that a switch component has been added to mobile!

1 Like

Thanks, I have added it to my app and it's looking great now.

I would love to have a way to display basic html content. I am building a simple podcast app, for instance. I am grabbing a bunch of fields from a podcast's RSS fields and loading them into db tables. Some fields (e.g., podcasts' "description" and episodes' "summary") are often in the form of raw html content. I would love to be able to have a component where I can just make the input {{item.summary}}, where the item's summary is a text field containing, for instance, "Join our "<"a href="http://blahblahblah.blah/discord">Discord server to chat about the show."<"br>Have a great day!" and let it show up correctly.

Note: I had to use "<"a and "<"br because even this editor automatically interprets them as actual html.

Glad to see the interest in an html component - as it happens the team is working on one, and it will likely be released in the earlier part of next year. Stay tuned, we'll circle back when it's out!

Is there a bug on the datePicker component ?
I can't use it, selection of a new date does not work :frowning:

Hi all - happy to share that we've launched an HTML component! This allows for arbitrary HTML to be entered which is translated to native views under the hood, giving more flexibility to the apps that are possible to build today.

Regarding adding more components to Mobile, the feedback in this thread has been very valuable as we prioritize work. I'd encourage you all to keep posting feature requests here in the Community as we try to stay close to what you all are asking for - thanks for all the feedback.

1 Like

Hi there!

Glad to see the html component! It doesnt appear though that a simple input with type="password" works. Its fine in edit mode, but on the device itself, the input field doesn't even appear. Is that a known limitation?

also - I'm guessing no real way to access an elements value, since there isnt a 'DOM' to read? The html is only to create some unique styling, etc?

Thanks!

Matt

This is great news, it support SVG and you can use inline values to set HTML properties in my case the fill colour.

Keep up the good work!!!

1 Like

The html component is huge! Thanks

1 Like

One feature i feel is really useful that is in another app we used to use (Device Magic) is the option to manually enter a value when using the scanner. When scanning a model or serial at times the code is worn off so you might need to enter the value manually. Right now i add another component to either manually add in text field or have a button to open scanner

Below is button in scanner to pop up manual entry

Below is the input field that pops up

1 Like

@PadenM Thanks for this feedback! I wonder if you might be able to achieve something similar by using the scanner "embedded" mode and placing a text input + button below it? Totally agree that showing a popup while a user is having trouble scanning (maybe after some number of seconds) would be a great addition!

1 Like

Hey all, a note regarding the HTML component. First, I'm glad you're finding it useful! I'd like to note that this week we'll be shipping an update to the web editor preview when building with the HTML component to better reflect what's supported and unsupported on iOS/Android. You may have noticed (I see @msd5079 has with a password input) that certain aspects of the HTML input appear differently on web vs native - this is due to the fact that the HTML you write is converted to React Native code. With this update, we'll be showing that code post-conversion in the browser to help you better understand what will work in your native app. And yes @msd5079, today there is not a way to access a value with the HTML component, it's mainly to be used for presentational purposes.

1 Like

@donaldhruska has there been a regression on the HTML component ? SVG has stopped working! Even some is simple as this nothing ??

<svg width="100" height="100">
  <circle cx="50" cy="50" r="40" stroke="green" stroke-width="4" fill="yellow" />
</svg>

Hey @iiLaw - unfortunately this probably never actually worked on iOS and Android, and erroneously worked in the web preview. With the change from the comment above, the web preview now more accurately reflects what works on the native app, which probably explains why your svgs no longer render. Sorry about that. Under the hood, we're using react-native-render-html to translate the HTML to native views.

Ok that makes sense any plans for say an SVG component ?
As the moment the icon pallet is very limited.