Query Efficiency

About a day ago my app that I'm building and testing in (which has a lot of queries) started to over-tax my system memory and kill my browser. I thought it was the chrome update but I'm having the same issue with other browsers. I'm about ready to break it apart into separate apps, but now I can't get it to complete a load. Everything is fine on the backend - it's a Postgres on AWS RDS.

It doesn't seem to be just one query or API resource - I'm playing whack-a-mole trying to find the problem and it just cascades to the next query in line.

Is anyone else having trouble with this?

@alex-w do you know why queries aren't timing out after 120 seconds? I have queries running for 300+ seconds and killing memory. I can't even complete a page load at this point to do the corrections that need to be done.

I have the same issue. The app that was running through the queries smoothly just few days ago is now spiking the CPU and is simply unusable. Already submitted my findings to Retool's first-class support, so I'm sure we'll get some help on this soon.

1 Like

It's surprising to me that more users aren't having the same issues. @victoria stepped into my app and couldn't re-create it. I've ruled out system, browser, and resources.

On my end I have reverted back to a version from a week ago that I know was running ok and is crawling now. That confirms that it most likely is an issue related to the recent Retool update 2.68.6. But I will let experts decide.

1 Like

Just curious, how many queries do you have in your app?

I have just over 200, but only about 8 on page load and the rest run serially on triggers with a the largest sequence doing about 10 or so queries, mostly doing modifications to my main database. I found one particular REST API query that seems to spike CPU and anything run after that one keeps CPU running near capacity.

It seems like my Retool app is "suddenly" eating up a lot of memory, which eventually causes it to stall. Here is a snapshot of memory pressure when I launched it. Dropbox - Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 8.30.25 PM.png - Simplify your life
Not sure if anything has changed with the way Retool deallocates memory but it could be the reason why our apps are underperforming... or not performing.

Hey @Bill_Waring + @Mariusz We are investigating now and attempting one theory. I'll keep this thread updated!

@Bill_Waring + @Mariusz I believe we have found the cause, can you please test your apps now and confirm?

1 Like

I'm back in business! :rocket: Thank you Alex!

1 Like

Hurray! App is running fine again. Thanks, @alex-w

1 Like

Hi @alex-w, we are also running into this issue right now and unsure about how to fix it. If you could please let us know what the solution was it might help.