Namespace vs. ID on state variables

Hi. I'm having issues with my temporary state variables and I'm looking for some tips. I had earlier created a page with working state vars which have the following properties: value, pluginType (always "State"), and namespace (always null). However when I now make a fresh state var (working on a different page) the properties are: value, pluginType, and id. I'm not sure what I did differently before, but why is there no namespace and I get ID instead? These new vars are not working correctly, so I suspect the error is related to this. (And I'm also quite new with Retool). Thanks!

Hey @MattMazur and welcome to the community! You’re definitely right – I’m seeing different behavior with the temp state I just created vs. a few days ago. My newest variables actually have no ID or Namespace properties. What are you using these values for exactly? Since they’re read-only - curious

The ID field only appears after i give the variable a new name (instead of the “state#” default). The vars are not read-only though, I’ve been using them to store a file name for use by an image component, using the state variable’s setValue function. It’s weird that this behaviour seems to have changed over the last week, unless I accidentally changed something I’m not aware of.

Well it seems to be working now, but I don’t recall changing anything significant since Friday. The image component wasn’t displaying the image via the URL parameter (was just blank) and so I thought the state var might be the culprit, but seems not. I’m still not sure about the namespace vs. id field confusion, but I’m guessing that after using the variable it got a namespace. The important part is that it’s working now, but thanks for the quick response.