Migrating Retool Database tables, forms & resources

I have been working on a project that may need to be transferred to new Retool accounts.

For apps, I know they can be exported to json and reimported as needed. Will this include all the queries and other elements, like images?

If the queries rely on configured resources, how will that work? Do the resources need to be pre-configured with the same name or will I have to go in each query of each app and reconfigure everything?

Most of the data comes from a Retool Database. I know I can export individual tables as csv, but that means they can only be imported into the same table structure? Will I have to create every field/column in the new account?

What about foreign keys relationships? Will I have to recreate all this manually?

Basically, what I would like to know is can I migrate tables with all their fields/schema and content to another Retool account, without all this labour?

Thanks.

You could connect to your existing Retool db using an IDE with the credentials in your Retool DB and then in the IDE you could probably export in whatever format you need to then import using same IDE to another connection to the new accounts - as for the apps, you can export and yes they will include all of the queries and so forth.
I would test with one small app and see what happens

Oh, that's a good point. I didn't think of connecting to Retool DB with an IDE.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give it try!

1 Like

Is there any benefit to Exporting to Typescript ZIP rather than JSON? What exactly does it include? The docs on this are not very detailed.

I tried with tool script and it is a zip so that cannot be imported directly

I tried with JSON and that worked except all of your resources would need to be reconfigured as they are named by ID when imported...
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.00.28 AM

Interesting... so if the resources are named by ID, I assume that is the id of the resource in the old account. Does that mean that unless reconfigured, apps will use resources from other accounts?

They will not be able to have access to those resources with the other account....
For example

1 Like

I see, thanks for taking the time to look into this.

1 Like

Install PGAdmin on your local PC and use it to backup the retool database as a SQL file.

2 Likes

:wave: I'd recommend creating all of the resources (with the exact same name) before importing the apps.

Thanks @Tess , good to know.