Mapbox Map Upgrades

Just wanted to add that it's kind of weird to not support satellite view on the maps as otherwise they are pretty useless since they are so basic. Can just use Google Maps of course, but seems weird to have Mapbox support but then be super crippled.

I'm curious almost 2 years later is there a pathway to display a popup on mobile map and change default points?

I'm building an app that heavily relies on plotting assets on a map. And I'm running in to serious limitations in the way MapBox integration in Retool operates. Both web and app. Let me try putting things in order of importance here.

1. Lack of straightforward way to use stiles built in MapBox Studio.

I'm talking proper integration of custom styles via style URL and access token like everywhere else. Inconsistency in between web stile and app styles throws the first wrench in the process and it gets more frustrating. For example bathymetry (ocean depth), meteorological and ocean current that are easily integrated as database driven data layers are still puzzling me on how would I integrate it in Retool.

1. Inability to use custom graphics for pointers.

No ASCII does not cut it for me. I need my symbol layer with 230 conditional icons in it. And status of these icons is dynamic and user decision based.

1. Inability to display useful information around the datapoint.

Past basic "Hey, look! You are here!" Location data point make sense when you can tell one from another. With no custom icons or proper data GeoJSON layer bubbles with text next to a pointer would be the last resort to communicate anything useful. So info bubble on hover for web and as an element with "hidden" property for mobile to be able to toggle it with events would make Retool map integration much more usable.

And before we start discussing iFrame workarounds here a map with custom icons and everything as I would like it brought in to Retool using iFrame straight out of Mapbox Studio. This would have worked If passing data to it was any way easy but it's not. And I quoting our lead "...if 85% of your framework screen real-estate is an iFrame with another framework, maybe you chose the wrong framework..?"

Hi @Scottsky

Thanks for taking the time to document all of this feedback. I definitely agree that our current mapbox component is limited and in need of an upgrade.

We've been suggesting a custom component as an escape hatch for the time being, but we are still tracking feedback on the mapbox component, as we'd ultimately prefer to improve it's usability and feature set. I'm not sure yet where it'll fall on our roadmap. As far as I know, a mapbox re-vamp hasn't been started yet, but I'll make sure all of this feedback gets surfaced internally!

Thank you for setting my expectations straight, Tess.
I'll look in to alternative solution for my problem.

Not optimistic my +1 will help - but would really love to see some upgrades to this component.

Same +1 with zero optimism. I miss the old Retool.

+1 for Scottskys requirements