Limit user access to only Mobile apps to prevent access to Retool DB or web apps

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with connecting extrernal barcode scanners (handheld scanner hardware) to Retool webapp, rather than through the Retool mobile app?

We are building an inventory tracking app for some extrenal users, and are trying to avoid Retool mobile app, as we don't want these external users to be able to access our Retool databases etc with a Retool login.
We are therefore making a normal retool app, but making it mobile responsive with custom login authentication connected to our database.

We are wanting to connect an external barcode scanner via bluetooth, but are unsure if this will work if not through the Retool mobile app, and if anyone has any experience and recommendations for specific barcode scanner make/models that work?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi @timwparker! I can't speak to connecting an external scanner to Retool Web, but I did want to let you know that Retool offers the concept of Mobile-only users - these are users who would only have access to your Mobile app. If accessing other parts of Retool is your main concern, I think this might work for you and allow you to build on Mobile. You should see the ability to invite these users when you click "Share" in a mobile app

Thanks Donald! Just tried it and sure enough, the permissions can be set for this app only. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like