Is it possible to select, copy and paste range like Excel?

Hi there,

I'm new to Retool and trying to make an Excel- or Google Sheet-like table which allows to select, copy and paste range. How can I do that or is the feature not provided?

1 Like

Hi @Takuya_HARA, Thanks for reaching out! The current Retool table definitely behaves a bit differently than Excel/Sheets :confused:

We have feature requests for bulk editing cells (similar to Excel), allowing pasting into the Retool table, and selecting multiple cells in a table (and accessing their values).

I can reach out if we're able to ship these requests :blush:

1 Like

Depending on how your data is formatted, you could allow the user to paste in excel data into a text area component, then run a JS script that parses the tab delimitated data and converts it into JSON, then run a query to insert that data into your database or wherever you store it, and then refresh your table.

let lines = textArea1.value.split('\n');
let header = lines[0].split('\t');

let jsonData = [];
for (let i = 1; i < lines.length; i++) {
    let row_data = lines[i].split('\t');
    let json_obj = {};
    for (let j=0; j<header.length; j++) {
        json_obj[header[j]] = row_data[j];
    }
    jsonData.push(json_obj);
}

return JSON.stringify(jsonData, null, 4);

This is what the results of that would look like.

Given excel data like this
CleanShot 2023-07-28 at 15.22.55@2x

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like

Yes, I am look forward to this behave too. I know something like this( allows to select, copy and paste range.) has complete in MUI-X.

1 Like

+1 for this feature i got a client who wants the copy paste feature in table component to edit in bulk like excel