Google APIs for WorkFlows

Hi, I am trying to set up a Retool workflow to do the following:

Look into my database (Right now it's Google Sheets), and then based on predetermined conditions it will send a WhatsApp message to the associated client in the database using Twilio.

I currently have this function and code set up in Google App Script but I want to try and set it up in Retool Workflows so that once I figure that out I can migrate to a PostgreSQL database and run it like that.

I believe I need access to the axios library (Which is integrated) and the GoogleAPIs library (Which is NOT integrated). Is there a better way to do this by considering a different approach or would workflows work for this use case?

The process is essentially:

1. Team member ticks a checkbox on the app frontend
  2. It updates the backend database
  3. The script is executed when this update is made
  4. The script sends a WhatsApp message to the associated client

I am not sure what the best approach for this is, any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

@kilianzaanb this sounds like a great use case for workflows. Have you gotten further on this? At a high level, it sounds like you could build a workflow that queries google sheets, then use a branch block that handles the logic, and then query twilio.

Let us know how things are going with building this out - others could learn from what you've tried, and if you're hitting a specific blocker with building this out let us know!

Hi! So I actually figured it out by using Twilio as a resource, then sending messaged in that way - essentially I add a trigger that executes a specific message when I click the checkbox.

When it comes to the logic side of things and having more complex logic happening before I send the message, I have not needed that yet, but I do not think I will need workflows for that. I could just run a JS script in retool and then trigger the Twilio resource again for it.

But if I do get back to it I will come back here and let the community know

1 Like