Facility to have custom values in the "No Options" of a select

SELECT control drop down.
When I enter a value in the SELECT that does NOT exist in the list of available options, the control shows "No options"
Currently I can't find a way to change this "No options" value or even detect if it is being displayed!
It would be great if:

• Have a boolean that is true when the "No options" is being displayed
    or
  • Be able to replace the "No options" with a button/link so we can give the user the chance to "add new" via a modal for example.

Thanks

It would be cool to have custom input for the select component. Hope this helps in the meantime

Boolean

If the data source for your Select component is a simple array of strings, you could use the following as a boolean:

// works similar to when it shows "No Options"
{{ select1.data.some(option => option.includes(select1.inputValue)) }}
// excludes partial matches as well. 
{{ select1.data.includes(select1.inputValue) }}

Add New

There's a hacky (needs refinement) work around to dynamically add new values to the select.

1. Add your current options to a variable.

2. Set the dataSource for select1 to be mapped to:

{{
  (()=>{
    if (optionsArray.value.includes(select1.inputValue) || select1.inputValue === "")
      return optionsArray.value
    else
      return [...optionsArray.value, select1.inputValue]

// expand as needed

})()
}}
  1. Use the onChange event handler to update optionsArray.

Value: {{[...optionsArray.value, select1.inputValue] }}
Only run when: {{ !optionsArray.value.includes(select1.value) }} to prevent duplicates.

Hey Rixlayer,

Maybe is not completely what you're looking for, but you can add the option "Allow custom values" within the "Interactions" settings:

When that happens, whenever something is written that is not an option, it gives the same as an option, and then you can decide what happens with that.

I have shown/hidden other components based on this selection using the following:

{{select35.selectedIndex !== select35.values.length}}

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hey @MiguelOrtiz, that's probably exactly what @peter.b was looking for. :clap:

I did not notice that option and have reinvented the wheel lol

2 Likes

We also have this empty state setting under Appearance->Advanced where you can modify "No options" to be some other text (or no text at all)