Column order to Dynamic Column Settings

The legacy table allowed us to dynamically change the order of the columns. The new table does not let us do this that I can figure out. This is the only reason I am still using the legacy tables, and it is an absolute stopper. This is a required feature by my users, as they each want to set their own table column order.

can we please get this in the new tables, especially now that you have disabled the ability to create legacy tables?

1 Like

Hello @szabon!

In the app editor you should be able to change the order or columns with version 2 tables.

I was able to click and drag column names to the left and right both in the app editor, in the table component inspector and while viewing a live version of the app.

How are you users dynamically changing the order of the columns? If the v2 table does not work for you I can file a request with our eng team, but it seems like columns are draggable...

Let me know if you still have this issue and how you would like to have the columns order change!

Yes, editors can drag and drop. But the legacy table allows you to put an array of column names into the "Use Dynamic Column Settings" which will then change the order of columns as well as their hidden status (if not in the array, then hidden is True). This allows us to create systems to allow users to change their columns without having to go into editor mode, and allows us to save settings per user, instead of it being for everyone.

1 Like

@szabon thank you for the feedback!

I am new to Retool and had not gotten a chance to work with the legacy table, so I did not know these dynamic column settings had such useful features :sweat_smile:

It looks like we have an internal thread with our eng team for suggestions of what features to have as a part of our new table's dynamic column setting. I will add in your suggestions and let you know if there are any updates!