Allow external users to edit their profile

Hey all,

I'm playing with Business for external users. Let's say we have a minimal permissions group called 'Customers', for whom we wish to run a Portal.

We have established a landing Dashboard, which links off to other apps, and I am able to restrict those happily. We're using a custom subdomain.

I've created a user in the 'Customers' group, named Widget Co.

In order to allow users to log out, we've added a dropdown navigation menu into page headers with a custom URL to /logout.

The next goal is to allow users to edit their profile details, including their name, password and email. In the same vein as logging out, we can enable the Account page permission for the "Customers" group…

then include an option for Settings in that drop-down, which links to /settings/account. That's a good start, but this page isn't part of our 'Portal'. It's Retool's own page.

This page:

• has no way to navigate back to the Portal (browser back does not work reliably)
  • confusingly, mentions Retool down the bottom, and
  • includes Retool's Refer a friend action button

Archive account

Keeping in mind, our users do not know what Retool is.

I'd very much like to build my own page for Settings, but there's no way to change user details unless you're on Enterprise - which enables API usage.

Am I missing something here? How can I add support to my Portal - on Business - for users to manage their profile?

1 Like

I feel your struggle @hansontools, and I have provided feedback to the retool team several times that their API endpoints should be available (at least some of them) to other subscriptions apart from Enterprise.

Hey @hansontools @MiguelOrtiz thanks for the feedback here. You are correct that there isn't a way to do this currently. Along with @MiguelOrtiz's request to un-gate the API endpoints, I've submitted a feature request to allow customization of the Account page so that external users can access it without seeing any reference to Retool. I'll update you here as I get any additional information to share.

2 Likes