Access Vector Value from Document Chunks

Is there a way to access more information from a vector chunk, such as its vector or embedding value? I plan to pull data at regular intervals into two separate documents located within the reetool vector. When new data is pulled, I want to store the previous document's contents in a separate database. Additionally, I would like to store its current vector value. Is it possible to extract this information from the vector store? Currently when I query the document chunks only the content within the documents in returned nothing else.

Hi @matt.em - welcome to the forums. Are you using Retool vectors or something else? I don't know of any way to get additional information from the Retool vectors built in, but if you are pulling from somewhere else, presumably you would be able to return additional information in your query to that service.

Hi @matt.em,

There are two options available to you.

The Get document chunks action:

Or.. You can also do a semantic search to get the underlying chunks and similarity as well:

Hope that helps! Happy building :hammer_and_wrench:

@jg80 Thanks for the response. I am using the built in retool vectors, currently pulling in data through a api and storing it in a document. I dont see a way of actually getting the vector value for a specific chunk, so I may just have to create a vector embedding for the chunks as im sending them to my postgress database.

@AbbeyHernandez Thanks for the information, would it be possible to get more information such as the vector value for these chunks or is the source, and similarity all thats available as metadata?

When you ask a question using vectors the response metadata has a vectorsContext field that returns the vector sources and similarity scores.

1 Like