2 identical resources (SQL SERVER), GUI mode grayed out in 1 of them

I have two resources, one for the production and one for the dev environment.
I created a tool in the dev environment, when I created the tool I added permissions to the user of the dev resource in order to use GUI mode.

when I wanted to move to production I added the relevant permissions to the production resource's user but for some odd reason, the GUI mode is still grayed out,
so I tried to create a new resource with exactly the same connection properties as the production resource (for the same RDS, the same database, and the same credentials) and GUI mode is actually working with the new resource.
But still, when I try the original resource it doesn't work...

I tried changing the production resource and reverting the change, tried refreshing the app in every step of the way, but nothing seems to make it work...

in my case, I don't want to use the new resource because I already have tools working with the original resource and I don't want to create a new one every time I create a new tool...

Hey @hben! The GUI mode gets grayed out when the credentials don't have write permissions. Have you double checked that the credentials have write permissions? Sounds like you have. Maybe you could try re-entering your credentials? We should definitely be able to get this to work without fully replacing your resource :slight_smile:

@victoria
I've tried:

1. Creating an identical resource with the same credentials - the new resource has GUI mode enabled (so its not a permissions issue, because its the same user).
  2. Changing the original resource and even replacing its user and then returning it to the original user - still doesn't work.

Hmm, and could you clarify what you changed with the new user credentials? Is GUI mode now broken in both prod and dev envs?

I found the issue with someone from retool support...

the issue wasn't with the UI of the resource or with its configuration,
because both resources are identical, one is working and one is not...

so I looked into the retool database and saw in the options column of the resources table that the following key: credentialsPrivileges -> allowWrite was "false" on the old resource and "true" on the new resource...

I changed it manually to true and the GUI mode worked...

in conclusion, the issue here is only with the internal process in retool of checking the existing privileges of the credentials, which wasn't working properly or didn't work at all so it didn't update the value properly.

That definitely sound like something we should (and can) address on our end! I’ll file this, thank you for such a thorough write-up :raised_hands: