SELECT statement expands {{Multiselect.value}} to a string as opposed to an array of integers

Hello,

Preliminaries

• Skill level: new to Retool, familiar with other similar frameworks.
  • DB: Docker Postgres/latest.
  • Retool versions tested: Web and Self Hosted.
  • What works: the following SELECT statement.
SELECT UNNEST ( ARRAY[1, 3, 5] ) AS ARRAY;

Query ran successfully

ARRAY
-------
-------
-------
-------
  • What does not work: when using the Multiselect component, inserting `{{multiselect.value}}' into a SELECT statement, the array is expanded to a string, as opposed to an array of integers, resulting in a parsing failure(?).

Details

Given the following table structure:

game=> SELECT * FROM lkp_tbl_expansions;
 pk_expansion_id |   expansion_name   
-----------------+--------------------
               1 | Core
               2 | In the Lab
               3 | On the Brink
               4 | State of Emergency
(4 rows)

I created a Multiselect component named expansions with the following configuration:

When creating a query, the {{expansions.value}} expands to a string, instead of an array of integers.

Query preview shows the following:

SELECT UNNEST ( ARRAY[{{expansions.value}}] ) AS ARRAY;

SQL Prepared Statement
SELECT UNNEST ( ARRAY[$1] ) AS ARRAY;

$1 =
[
]

Query ran successfully

ARRAY
-------
{"1","3"}
-------

When attempting an INSERTof the array values, into another table, Postgres returns the following error: column "column_name" is of type integer but expression is of type text.

When I tried to perform the same task using the Appsmith framework, it worked as expected. When attempting an INSERT using another query, it succeeds without an issue.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong :thinking:, any help would be appreciated and thanked in advance.

Josie.

@Josie Welcome to the forum!

Why UNNEST and then set as an array

Can you not run select * from {{[expansions.value]}} ?

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.19.18 AM

@ScottR Hi Scott!

The UNNEST statement was failing as part of a larger query that returned an array.

When I run SELECT * FROM {{ [expansions.value] }}, it returned: Error This SQL is incompatible with prepared statements. You may want to disable prepared statements, or rewrite this query.

So I checked Disable converting queries to prepared statements on the Resources > Connection details page, ran the query again and it returned: datasource run failed. message:"syntax error at or near "1""

syntax_error

However, the original UNNEST query worked as expected.

select_unnest_works

Thank you for the help!

Josie.

Glad it worked. You could try Query JSON with sql as the resource type without the unnest. Will try myself.