Multi-level table (select row, expand child object)

Last week I spent tons of time making a hacky solution to be able to group tables :see_no_evil:. (Transform the data to group it, and add a row in between each group with mostly null values except a unique ID and a header...).

Thank you for the feature though!! Now my groups can be expanded :slight_smile:

@bradlymathews to repeat the grouped column values you can just duplicate the column, hide it and group by one of them.

+1 on the programmability.

Another thing I noticed is that if the colors are not assigned automatically to the tags, they are not inherited to the group header. It would be nice to customize them separately.

1 Like

Another feature that would be nice would be to have the option to aggregate the values of columns per group (sum or count).

3 Likes

A weird bug I think.

I can group by Year and then State:

But not State then Year:

@bradlymathews I'm unable to reproduce that issue, do you mind sending me a DM of this app export?

those are all great notes @w2go! will follow-up when those are implemented :slight_smile:

@Alexi

Thanks, Sent.

Thanks Alexi. Got quickly excited about the new stuff and forget about managing expectations.
2 features so far I would like to see in grouping:

1. aggregated measures i.e. grouping is nice but being able to add sum, count, ... on multiple columns gives important information to the user e.g. is it relevant and worth expanding. Like SQL (AlaSQL ?) There is a lot of wasted screen estate without that.
  2. group by multiple columns
2 Likes
  1. agree! we will definitely prioritize aggregation features
  2. you should already be able to group by multiple columns. the "Group rows by" List editor supports adding an arbitrary number of columns, and the order determines how the groups should be nested. can you clarify the issue you're facing?

Hi Retool team,

Just to clarify there isn't a built-in feature at the moment where I can have all the groups expanded by default or even expanded per group?

Not yet @Daniel_Man, but it is on the radar!

1 Like

@Kabirdas thanks for the clarification, please keep me updated when this is implemented, thanks.

Daniel

Hi @yiga2! Just wanted to follow up and let you know that we've officially launched aggregation. You can read about it here.

@andoliveyou - Do we have a way to sort our data by an aggregated value? Or to at least to Group by one term, and then sort it by an associated value?

@skyler, unfortunately, there is no way to sort by aggregated value at this time. I don't think I understand what you mean by "Or to at least to Group by one term, and then sort it by an associated value?" Can you give an example?

@andoliveyou, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully sorting (and nested sorting for that matter) by aggregated values is something we'll see in the future.

Regarding the Group by one term (or value) and then sort it by an associated value question. In the primary table, we (and all our customers) use, we have a calculated aggregated value that we sort by.

e.g., we have

• Section
  • Variant
  • Variant Volume
  • Section Volume

Every variant belongs to a Section and the Section Volume is the aggregated value of the Variant Volume for all Variants in the Section. The data is sorted using nested filters to keep everything grouped together. With the first sort being by Section Volume.

Hope that made sense. :sweat_smile:

Here with an update - @Alexi shipped the following update in the latest Cloud release, 3.25.0, to add the option "Expand grouped rows by default."

We're still tracking requests for more customization on expanding groups, but hopefully this helps for the time being!

2 Likes

Hey @bradlymathews ! quick question... did you find a solution for the repeated values on the grouped columns? Iยดm experiecing the same issue and cant find the solution!
Thanks!

They added this to the component, so the grouped row now stays visible along with it aggregate values.

2 Likes

Any update on the option for end users to configure groups (with a button or programmatically)?

@shaya im actually working on this now! should be something out next week :slight_smile:

1 Like