Is it possible to have a modal grab columns not selected through the main table?

I'm relatively new to Retool and SQL, so forgive me if I'm not explaining things correctly.

I have a table with lots of rows and columns. When I create a table to show all the rows, it errors out because it's way bigger than the 100MB limit.

I'm able to significantly cut down the data by selecting specific columns I want to show on the table, instead of selecting them all.

However, I would like to be able to click a row to open a modal with all the data, not just the ones I selected for the main table. At appears this isn't possible, as the data available to me in the modal are the columns I've selected in the main table.

Is there a way for me to access all columns in a modal, regardless of what I select in the main table?

Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the Retool community!

Yes, it's definitely best not to try and pull too much data in at once to your frontend app as it'll bog down your memory. The way to do it, is to pull in a limited amount of columns, as you are already doing, and then run a separate query returning the full column set based on some identifier in the .selectedRow.data (as seen in the image attached).

Alternatively you can pull in a smaller amount of rows using pagination (https://docs.retool.com/docs/working-with-tables#2-use-the-pagesize-and-paginationoffset-in-the-query-that-pulls-the-data-into-your-table) and pull in the entire column set.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Chris Smith
Retool Developer Advocate

1 Like