How to perform MongoDB Write?

I am trying to update a single row in MongoDB as part of a ReTool dashboard. I am not able to make the selections I need to because it appears to confuse the collections in the database for the fields on objects in the collection.

Here is an image showing what I see: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
"sessions" is a collection, all of the items in the dropdown are collections, and if I try to add anything after the collection name it doesn't persist once I leave the text box.

If I remove the filter and try to run it I get an error anyway: "The datasource the query is connected to used to be of type RetoolTableQuery has changed types, and is no longer valid!"

I have already changed from using the write connection type to the read type based on this post: MongoDB Write Resource is not working The same UI issues show up if I keep it in write mode, but the error string above changes to the same shown in the post I just mentioned if I put it in write mode.

Please unblock me on making this query to update a value. Is there some way to just write a regular mongo json query?