Help with using Retool to read / write from xlsx files as Google Sheets

I'm using retool to prototype a front-end for our product. I would ideally like to read and write to xlsx files stored in our Google Drive.

I am unsure how to connect with a SPECIFIC file, and read and write to it.

I've set up a resource for Google Sheets, and connected a service account that I gave edit access to this drive - but at no point selected the specific Drive or files I want to read / write to. The resource was successfully created, and even shows 1 usage.

I've then tried creating a query to access the resource, and run action type 'List available spreadsheets' - which returned no results (I didn't try to transform this data).

How do I test whether the connection has worked and access the actual resources from this Google Drive? What's the right way to access the sheets that are shared with the service account?

Troubleshoot resource connections

Hi @Baz_Iyer, welcome to the forum! :wave:

We may be running into this issue because Retool is looking for ".gsheet" files (Google Sheet files), but it looks like we are trying to make it work with ".xlsx" files.

Here is an example of working with a single ".xlsx" file.

Here is a guide on connecting to Google Drive instead of Google Sheets by @JoeyKarczewski.