Dropdown/Select Component folded out invisibly

Hello there,

I often use dropdowns in my apps. In doing so, I have encountered a bug which I cannot specifically reproduce. Every now and then the dropdown seems to be expanded without it being visible that it is expanded. Instead, when hovering over the area below the dropdown, only the mouse pointer becomes a hand and the area is also clickable and provides a selection from the dropdown. This causes the user to accidentally select something from the dropdown(which sometimes triggers other actions), which is very annoying. I would like to share a video of this, however I have not yet found a consistent way to reproduce the behavior....Has anyone also had this problem or is this bug already known to the Retool team?

The same issue occurs in our application.

Hey there! We just fixed an issue related to this, are you both still seeing the same behavior?

Hi,
thank you very much for the answer.
We are using the Retool On-Premise version. Sinch which software version should the error be fixed?

At the moment I'm not sure which release this will be in but it should be coming soon. Just to make sure this is the fix you're looking for though, would you mind sharing your version number and maybe a screenshot of what you're seeing?

We are using Version 2.83.26.... Unfortunately i'm not able to take a screenshot because there's no consistent way to trigger that behaviour.... it's the same behaviour as if there was a dropdown so that the mouse pointer changes the appearance when hovering below the dropdown area, just that there are no dropdown options visible.

When that happens can you try clicking in the area that the dropdown would be to see if it's still interactable?

Yes the area is clickable/interactable as if the dropdown was there :sweat_smile:

Ah, ok, in that case, it is a separate issue that we are still looking into :sweat_smile: I'll let you know here as well once that issue has been resolved. Are you seeing this consistently enough that it's a blocker for you?

I'm sorry I don't have a recording of the problem. The problem occurs often with my customers and is quite annoying for them. This can usually only be solved by a full website refresh with F5.

There's a small chance upgrading will fix this issue so it might be worth trying, is there a particular reason you're staying on 2.83?

I often use dropdowns in my apps. In doing so, I have encountered a bug which I cannot specifically reproduce.

Every now and then the dropdown seems to be expanded without it being visible that it is expanded. Instead, when hovering over the area below the dropdown, only the mouse pointer becomes a hand and the area is also clickable and provides a selection from the dropdown.

This causes the user to accidentally select something from the dropdown(which sometimes triggers other actions, which is very annoying.

Thanks for letting us know you're seeing the same issue as well @blakeadam!

We are a little slower to update versions because we customize our interface with Custom CSS and have to make adjustments ourselves with each update :sweat_smile: When we update again soon I will keep you up to date.

We're also seeing this in our apps (we're on the cloud version). I hope this bug is being prioritized as it is an app-breaking bug and makes many components (dropdowns with search enabled, datepickers) pretty much unusable...

1 Like

Hi all, I believe I have a workaround (at least for datepickers).

I can get the bug to occur every single time I use tab to navigate from my datepicker to a text input box. Here you can see an inspect of the element that isn't disappearing as it should (sorry it's not the full screenshot, company info :slight_smile:) :

To make this stop happening I added this event handler to my datepicker component (which is named dateTo):

I haven't tested this with dropdowns but hopefully this will help somebody else.

Hi again, are you all still looking into this? I still have this bug happen constantly on cloud and it's getting extremely old.

Hi,

It also appears this is the same problem I have been trouble shooting for some time. It is very intermittent. Has anyone found a solution or workaround for this issue?

1 Like

Hi, did you try my workaround above (with hiding and unhiding the component on blur)? It's working for me and it seems that the Retool team has no plans to fix this bug (it's been 1.5+ years at this point)

Unfortunately it looks like that solution isn't quite working for my case. I've been able to pin down exactly what users are doing that recreates it. Our use case is a dropdown template select, with variables that need filled in. When a user selects an item from the dropdown and then immediately clicks into another application (presumably to copy an item) and then clicks back into the ReTool window, this issue occurs 100% of the time. I am instructing users to click on the ReTool page again after making a selection, before moving off the page. It appears the permanent solution may have to be changing to List Box which wouldn't be ideal.