Displaying Umlauts / special characters in table from databricks query

Hi everyone, I am currently querying data from a databricks table which contains columns with strings that are containing German "Umlauts" (ä,ö,ü etc.), as well as other special characters (ß, Ø). They are displayed correctly in the table view in databricks. However, in Retool the special characters are turned into "��".

I assume it is an encoding issue, but unfortunately, I have not been able to fix it with the suggested solutions from the forum. Any "charset" configurations I am entering in the resource "connection option" are getting an error "HiveSQLException:Configuration charset is not available.".

My last idea would be to replace all characters in databricks with their "normal characters", e.g. "ö" --> "oe", but I would much prefer to display all strings correctly.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions! Thanks!

Hi @jonas_09 welcome to the forum! :wave:
Have you tried this workaround using JS to solve for this?
Let us know if it works! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Paulo, thanks for the help!

Did not find that old thread during my search for some reason. Happy to report that it did work using the provideed formula in the transformer as follows:
"
let length = data.ItemName.length
let decodedArray = []

for (let i = 0; i < length; i++){
let str = data.ItemName[i]
let decoded = decodeURIComponent('%' + str.match(/.{1,2}/g).join('%'))
decodedArray.push(decoded)
}
data.ItemName = decodedArray
return data
"

Tried it with a map function first but that did not work for me. If you do have any suggestions to improve the transformer syntax, feel free to do so, otherwise, this is solved :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

You are welcome! I'm happy to hear that it worked. :heavy_check_mark:

This reminded me of a character from my native tongue that led me to lose a video game account when I was a kid, because I thought using it in my password would make it extra secure (ñ, lesson learned).

Your implementation looks great, thank you for sharing it!

Happy building. :hammer_and_pick: