Developer Dark Mode

My old eyes would really like a dark mode. I have a 39" uItra-wide monitor and I am blasted with light. I found this post Dark Mode that recommends a browser extension but it darkens every tab and also darkens the app workspace so I can't tell what the app will actually look like for the end user.

I would like all of the panels to be dark as well as the app workspace background, but the app itself would follow the theme rules.

29 Likes

+1! I also work with a large screen, and when I'm editing my retool app it helps to use the full screen width together with the different retool editor panels. In low-light environments it feels like staring directly into the sun, with binoculars. Dark mode is a basic accessibility feature, not just design flair. This is the only developer tool I use out of maybe 10-15 that doesn't have a dark mode.

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

Also a +1 here. I find the colour scheme of the editor page to be really hard to work in with my poor eyesight.

It's not so much the brightness as it is the lack of contrast between borders and backgrounds, and the light colour of the draggable seperators between the panels. Sometimes I can't even find the borders of things to dragg about.

1 Like

plus, let's face it, lots of work i bet is being done on the side, freelance style and often at night, at least, for me... alt tabbing from a dark sql editor back to the brightest white in the retool app has actually been the cause for my headaches lately. unfortunately, it's so bad i'm considering trying another competitor if this doesn't change soon.

Thanks all for this feedback! I am not sure yet where this falls on our roadmap, but I'll check internally & post here if I get any updates

Hi All,

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts here! It's something we're seeing more and more requests for, even outside of this post. I discussed this with our team internally. Currently, this is not something we've been able to fit into our roadmap for this quarter, but it's definitely on our radar. For reference, a lot of our resources for the next quarter will be dedicated to some larger planned projects (for example, revamping the table). Your collective feedback definitely helps us to better understand the use case & priority level though. I'll post back here with any further updates I get from our product team. Sorry I don't have a more exciting update quite yet, but hopefully more to come!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Same here.

Regards

Sudip

Whats the update on this(almost 4 quarters later)? I think i speak for everyone when I say this is definitely something that should be priority. Im considering switching solely because of this frankly

Pablo Neruda's "Sonnet XVII"

I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

Lord Byron's "She Walks in Beauty":

She walks in beauty, like the night

Robert Frost's "Acquainted with the Night":

I have been one acquainted with the night.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, we had several large scale projects that were prioritized over this feature this year. That said, we are still tracking feedback and requests for this feature and hopefully it's something we can prioritize on our roadmap in the future :crossed_fingers:

I'll add your feedback & +1 to the ticket we're using to track requests internally

:laughing: @bradlymathews ! Really wish I had better news

1 Like

+1

1 Like

I can't use Retool until you have a Dark Mode bummer..

1 Like

unfortunately, i think i need to go elsewhere until they have dark mode. my eyes can't stand the constant back and fourth

+1

+100

1 Like

Just started to use Retool for 1 days and already think it's amazing... however I'm pretty much burnt out already from eye strain using the application. I use a lot of IDE and unfortunately this is one of the first requirements for me to use a tool.. i.e I can actually use it for long periods.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me if dark mode doesn't appear soon!

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. The themes for the front end are great, but need the tool to be dark for when working in dark environments, esp at night, no one needs to be blinded when going back to the tools!

1 Like

=) grab the Retoll VS Code extension then you can at least work on all your queries in a themed out (pimped out for code monkeys.... lol idk if that's a term, but I'm making it one) IDE. I don't blame ya though, my IDEs are heavily customized towards a dark-ish theme so sometimes if I'm not doing any theme/style related work I'll turn on that chrome Dark Reader extension just to get a bit of a break

1 Like