Creating a retool portal

I am a business plan user and I want to create a customer portal using retool. In the retool docs it shows how a portal works, but it doesnt say anywhere how to go about setting one up. How do I get started in building a portal?

Thanks!

Hey Liora! Happy to help here.

Before we get too far into the weeds, would these docs be helpful? https://docs.retool.com/apps/external/quickstarts/portals

Hi Victoria. I am considering the same: building a customer portal, but even after reading all the documentation, I still have a lot of questions...

Since I am not in the Business plan or any paid plan at all actually... in order to start building the customer portal, I would have to upgrade my plan. I cannot upgrade the plan and start developing without knowing if the customer portal will fufill my needs. Can you help me solve these questions?

I have a logistics business. I am considering creating a portal for my customers to:

• quote their own shipments with rates that may vary between each customer. Rates for each customer are very sensitive, how can I be sure that they won't be able to see other customers' rates? Is it possible that an IT guy from any of the customers' companies go into the queries being run by retool and view the data sources? Or if I filter by the customer in the query it is impossible for them to "hack" the data?
  • A simple warehouse management system (WMS) for each customer to view their inventory. But obviously, they shouldn't be able to see other customers' items. Same situation here.

Please let me know.

hi @victoria it looks like there may be bug somewhere along the line. let me demonstrate.

note: our organization is on Business plan.

1. starting from the Retool Portals homepage, click on the black "Get started for free" button:

2. log in as usual using Google SSO:

3. select google account belonging to Business plan Retool organization you're apart of:

4. seems to take you to the normal Retool homepage with no indication of "Portals" anywhere :confused:

Hello folks!

So there might be a little confusion over what Retool Portals are and how they work.

When I first learned about portals I thought it was a unique type of Retool app, however, it is actually a combination of settings for paid account users(business and enterprise) to be able to white label their existing app with their own company name, logo, color scheme and other custom features.

@Liora_Waxman @trz-justin-dev When you are logged into you Retool account, click on your profile picture in the top right corner, this will display a dropdown, where you can then click on 'Settings'.

From Settings, there will be several options down the left side to click, below 'Organization', if you click on 'Branding' you will see all the features for Retool Portals. It will look like this.

@ggallese For your logistics business where you want to limit what a user can see based on who they are, you will need to upgrade to a business or enterprise plan where you can further customize user permissions to limit what they can view and do.

This would allow you to prevent users from using Resources and Queries to "test" out different locations and data inputs which might lead to different prices and data being returned.

You can read more about designating permission levels for users on our docs, you can also control what components a users can view or use by editing specific components.

To do this, first inspect the component, then go to the Appearance dropdown and using the Hidden feature to enter in custom Javascript, where you can then access properties/data with {{current_user}} and then customize the Javascript code so that if and when the code block evaluates to true the component will be hidden.

As far as users viewing the 'data source' or 'hacking' retool's data I don't believe that is possible if you don't give them permissions use use or access Resources or Queries. When you upgrade your account to paid, someone from our sales engineering team should be able to walk you through complex logic for rates and all that code logic and data will be secure and protected.

For a WMS I believe that use case has been implemented by other paid customers, but I am not 100% sure. I would say to look for further documentation and form posts about that. Would it be correct to assume the use case would be similar to a 'shopping cart/e-commerce' functionality?

1 Like